Octopus Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flathead_ky, Mar 22, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use Kahle and J hooks all the time and looked into circle and octo hooks. I have heard that you do not have to set the hook with circles. I have seen good and bad things about them on there. I am thinking about trying octopus hooks this year. Do you have to set the hook with them, and has anyone had a lot of success with them. I am sending an order to Bass Pro, and what are some recommended sizes and styles should I get for catfish?

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I love octopus hooks. I got "hooked" on them while fishing for king salmon in Alaska last summer. I kept thinking to myself that they'd work well for catfishing, so I brought some home, and shazam!!!! They work well for me. The Gamakatsu (sp?) hooks are awesome, but kinda pricey. I buy 'em off ebay. I can get 100+ hooks for the price of one package of 8 or so name brand hooks. I sometimes have to sharpen them myself, but I can live with that.

As far as size, I don't know.... just match 'em to the size bait you're using.

Jerrod

3. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita

OCTOPUS HOOKS ARE A VERY GOOD HOOK. I HAVE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK WITH THEM. BEEN USING THEM FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS. I USE THE GAMAKATSU RED OCTOPUS HOOKS. INSTEAD OF ORDERING THEM FROM BASS PRO, WHY NOT GIVE CATFISH CONNECTION A CHANCE TO GAIN YOUR BUSINESS? AFTER ALL THEY ARE A SPONSOR FOR THE B.O.C. I AM SURE THEY CARRY THE HOOKS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. THEY HAVE VERY COMPETITIVE PRICES TOO. PLEASE GIVE THEM A TRY, WE NEED TO SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT THE BROTHERHOOD.

4. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I will give Catfish Connection a try, thanks for the info.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jerrod, I'm confused :confused: . I've never shopped on ebay, but you said you were buying gamakatsu hooks, and have to sharpen some of them. I've never bought a dull gama hook. What gives? Are they seconds or something like that?

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I bought some to try to see how they work for me.I havent got to try them out yet but i cant wait to givem a go.

7. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I got tuned in on gama circle hooks while in tnn.I used 8/0 10/0.But we had some 3/0 and my wife hooked a 42" blue with that 3/0 above the chetam dam at the park and we were bank fishing.I had to coach her a little but she landed it.
    If you are fishing deep holes and skip heads or cut bait use an 8/0.

8. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I buy all my hooks on eBay, I have never had to sharpen 1 of them. I've bought Eagle Claw & Gamakatsu hooks they are all good hooks. As far as I can tell they are not seconds or something like that.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Jeeze, I'm a shmuck. The hooks I buy off ebay aren't Gamakatsu hooks, they're just generics. Funny how my brain can think one thing, and my fingers type something entirely different. Lol. You're right, the Gamy hooks are the best and always razor sharp. The hooks I was referring to sharpening are the generic hooks that I sometimes get on ebay. I have to take a close look at each one that I tie on and sometimes touch 'em up. Sorry for the confusion. I'll see if I can get my brain in gear before I type next time!!!

Jerrod