Octopus hooks - Whats the difference!!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by lilrivercatman, Jun 3, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What is an Octopus hook? They look exactly like circles!:crazy: Are they the same thing? Also when using a Kahle can I set the hook? Would they be good on limelines?

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    You can set the hook with a kahle hook and they would work fine on limb lines but then so would the other two.

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    The circle hook has the point bent at a 90 degree angle, pointing inward toward the shaft. The normal octopus hook does not have a bend in the point. Also, you should set the octopus hook.

-- Rich

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    the only real difference is the point and the projected finishing action. WIth the circle the point like mentioned before is pointed inward, and used as a more catch and release hook. You dont set the hook you just the let rod load up and it hooks the fish for you, usually in the corner of the mouth. The octopus hook (one of my fav's!) it has a normal point and is meant for you to set the meat to the fish. THat is really it in a nut shell, the kahle also is meant to set the hook, and is my personal fav, then comes the octopus.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Gamma packages regular "J" hooks and circles both with the Octopus name. Its just means they are made of the heavy gauge wire, and have the slight offset that makes them Octopus. The J hooks just say Octopus on the pack. The other one says octopus circle.

6. richinchrist1022

richinchrist1022 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good thread and thanks guys for clearing that up, I was wondering the same thing myself.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the octopus has an ofset eye for positioning the hook in the rite position when you tie your own snells.