Octopus Hooks question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flathead_ky, Mar 29, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know that with the circle hooks, I have been told that you dont really have to set the hook. I am going to be using octopus hooks for the first time and wanted to know if there is any certain way that you need to fish them?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    You would use them the same way as a regular "J" hook.

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    just avoid the hookset. just lift up on the rod and start reeling. just be careful...those hooks seem to be sharper than others. i have jabbed myself several times with them...:crying:

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, I am a little confused on what type of hook you are using, so I will address them both.

Octopus Circle Hook: I see this most often made by Gamakatsu. They are like a normal circle hook (point bent back towards the shank dramatically) but have a turned eye. The turned eye has the purpose of facilitating a snell knot, and I find it works best if you DO snell it when it has a turned eye. You dont set the hook with these, but instead you just let the fish load up the rod. They are good when cats are taking the bait and running.

Octopus Hook: These are just like regular J hooks (point goes straight up) but they have a turned eye as well. Like with the Octopus circle hooks, the eye is used for snelling, and it also works best this way. With these you DO have to set the hook, like with a regular J hook, and I find they work best for live baits or really big cut baits.

:0a26:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have found that I have a better hook up percentage if I let the flathead load up on the rod before I set the octopus hook. It seem to me that when they turn down river they still have their mouth slightly open. If I set now the hook comes out sometimes along with the bait. So when the clicker goes off turn the handel to stop the free spool and just let him move off till your rod is bent good, this makes him think his meal is slipping away and he will close his mouth, then stick him hard.

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Trent, I use the octopus hook and I keep the reel engaged and when the rod loads up I set the hook...

7. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They are not circle octopus hooks. I always use a Palomar knot. Is this a good knot to use with these hooks, because I have seen that a lot of anglers use a snell?

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    If they have a turned eye, it is better to use a snell. It will still work with a palomar, but not quite as well. The snell will pull more directly on the shank, which will in turn put more pressure on the actual POINT of the hook, so it can penetrate better.

9. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like using the 8/o to 10/0's with big gills on them and i wouldn't say i ever actually "SET" the hook...when the nail it and the clicker is goin all i do is start leaning on them to get them to turn around...every once in awhile i'll get excited and yank it but, when i do i usually miss them......

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Kentucky, I always use a snell knot, learn to tie one and try it out. It seems to me that I get a better hook set. Some times a palomar won't cinch up and stay tight to the hook and the hook moves in the knot. The snell also does less damage to coated super-lines when cinching them up.

11. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    guess I know now why walmart was selling octopus hooks when I knew there wasn't any octopus swimming in our ******** around here lol

12. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    how do you make a snell and what is it like to no. I do the fishermans knot go around 6to 7 times bring it back down go throw and pull.I have not had it slip or brake yet. good luck to all

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I snell on a #2/0 to a 4/0 octopus hook when fishing live bait as the shank is shorter and does not give the fish as much leverage to throw the hook.