Octopus hooks for flathead catfishing - The great hook debate

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by porkchop401, Dec 13, 2006.

1. porkchop401

porkchop401 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Do any of you folks use octopus style hooks for flatheads? if so what size for hand size bream? also are there any down sies to using circle hooks for flatheads,

2. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Welcome to the BOC, Im not sure what an octopus hook is. But welcome anyway

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc mike , i personaly dont use octopus hooks i prefer cattmax from bps in 5/0 - 9/0 sizes there "j" hooks with a heavy shank and bait holders , i like a hook that bites back when bitten .

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i use 10/0 king kahels i have lost to many fish on those cir hook throw mine in the trash

5. porkchop401

porkchop401 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have been using circle hooks on eating size Blues(under 5lb.)with great success and in years past have have used J hooks with success but did not like gut hooking fish. I am just trying to find a happy medium that will address the aggressive strikes of flat heads and not be so prown to gut hooking a fish. with circle hooks I find that if a fish realy loads my line fast it is just like trying to set a circle hook and that dosent work so well.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like the circle hooks. I mostly use Kahle hooks but also use the circles. If used with the proper set-up they are very effective. I like the gamakatsu octopus circles.

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Kahle hooks for me.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i catch alot of fish from 2# to 65# + i use 8/0 9/0 "j" hooks . this year i have not gut hooked one fish knock on wood and have caught roughly 500 fish this year alone , my brother vlparrish has caught even more and hasnt gut hooked but one that i know of and i cleaned it last night and got the hook back , we fish the ohio river mostly .

i used circle hooks 2 years ago on one rod the whole year long and never caught a fish on that rod had several bites and runs but no hook ups in my oppinion circles arent worth the effort to throw them away , instead drop them in the boat and let them rust away and look down at them as a reminder of why "j"'s work .

with circles the gap from the hook point to the shank is very small you have to hook the fish in the corner of the mouth every time or you will miss the fish i catch fish with a lip bigger than your thumb , try wedging your thumb between the point and shank on a circle , good luck . bet you wont do that with a "j" .

a catfish's mouth is big with circle hooks your limited to the points of hook injection 1" inch on either side of the mouth , with "j"'s you got the whole mouth and if the hook is in it , its on .

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've gut hooked catfish with J's, Kahle's, and Circles. But, from what I've read, with Circle's, it doesn't tear up the internal organs. At least where I shop, circles cost a lot more than other hook styles.

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    ''J'' all the way! When I look at those circle hooks,I just cant see it hookin in a big fishes lip, as Charles explained.

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I hear a lot of negative comments on both sides of this debate but I believe all those hooks work if used for their intented purpose and you use the proper size hook for the size of bait you're using or the size of fish you're after. I use circles and kahles in 10/0 to 12/0 for the big sizes and 7/0 to 8/0 for smaller sizes. One size does not fit all as some on here try to use. Just my 2 cents worth.:smile2:

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use 7/0 tru-turns. I am not too sure what catagory these fall under but i think they are J-style. I have not gut hooked one fish on these. I used some kayles and circle. I love the circle hooks, no complaints. I liked the kayles but was curious, are u suppose to set the hook with these?

13. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I use Owner 'Gorilla' hooks for pellet fishing. Never had one bend out of shape or snap, even in small sizes and set really well. I use Maruto Eagle Wave as the single hooks for live baits like carp and eels. Don't know what shape you'd call 'em but they definitely not circles...

14. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i agree i've used circles and i think they suck.

15. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Set the hook with Kahle's.

Folks, this mostly comes down to style, taste, and how you fish. It really is not a debate, at least not a winable won for either side. Both are capable of landing fish and missing fish.
    I don't care what you use, if you are gut hooking fish, it is not the hooks fault. Setting the hook sooner or use an appropriate size hook will help prevent this. I've caught them on J's, true turns, circles, and kahle's. Over the past couple years I only use kahles and some true turns (found a sale). Why? I like to set the hook (eliminates circles), and as a bonus I find them easy enough to remove, esp. kahles. Oh, no gut hooks and very rarely eye hooked.
    If you like to set the hook, you can basically use anything you have confidence in except circles.
    If you don't want to or can't (jugs, physcial limitatons, whatever) set the hook when the bite/run happens, use circles.

16. porkchop401

porkchop401 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all of the insight and oppinions.I read some articles on hook design and it seems that hooks intended for live bait are of the "J" configuration for optimal hookup. the octopus style that I refer to requires a firm hookset and is designed for live bait . I guess that I should be prepared to keep all fish that are hooked deep and in joy the fewer missed fish. thanks again for all the help.

17. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    G-Lock for catfish? I have been using Gamatsu G-Lock worm hooks. Catches eaters not big fish.

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    hate to do this to ya bud, but maybe You should check this out. 8/0 gammakatsu octipus circle

Attached Files:

19. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As always, it's to each his own. I'm a huge believer in circle hooks. Specifically Daiichi Wide Gap Bleeding Bait Hooks.... 7/0 (D84Z). I will admit that I sometimes miss getting to "set the hook," but my hook ratio is very high. And my loss ratio once hooked is virtually zero. I don't think there is a "right" or a "wrong." It's just a matter of figuring out what works for you.

20. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Couldn't have said it any better myself my friend,,,Thank You!!!!!!!!