Octopus hooks - do they work?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jerellman, May 27, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I was wondering, do octopus work as good as they look?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They work better than they look. They are the best hooks made. I have close to 400 fish this year that can attest to that!!

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    They are my favorite hook for trolling for trout and salmon. Havnt used them much for cats but when I did they work great.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats all I use 8,9,and 10/0. Sharp and strong, And If you look around you can find them at a decent price. I have'nt had any problems with them rusting in my box either.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    what is the difference performance wise between the octopus and the circle ?
    do both require the exact technique to set hook?
    and what advantages does one have useing one over the other??

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I am with WylieCat. With octopus hooks, and assuming that I am not using a line that has an incredible amount of stretch (spiderwire monofilament), every time that I use an octopus hook, I hook the fish all the way through the skin just to the back of the lower lip bone. This basically means that the hook has gone through one of the toughest parts of the fish, and the fish is being pulled by a bone. This also means that the fish is NOT coming off. I have never guthooked anything but a bullhead with them, and you can do that with anything. Circle hooks I have, though, such as a nice 17 pounder that I caught. I think they work SO much better than circles, personally.

7. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tey are the best hooks out.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have to agree with the others...My favorite hook of all time to use here at the lake with shad is the 8/0 Gama Octopus...they are extremely effective. Trying out Kahles now but so far the Octopus hook is still my favorite. Fishing in this BOC 2006 Summer Smash Tournament the fish I weighed in basically hooked itself on an Eagle Claw 7/0 Octopus hook. I am not saying they are the best hook because everyone has different opinions...but it certainly is a must have in your tackle box.:big_smile:

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I tried circles last year with little success. Tried them this year and did better thanks to BOC....but as far as I am concerned the effectiveness in hookup between circles and the regular octopus doesn't compare..I know there are some out there who DO swear by circles but I am not one of them...guess I like setting the hook myself(even though I have had fish hook themselves on the Octopus also, but then I keep my hooks sharp!)....JMHO:confused2:

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use both octopus and circle hooks. For most outings i like circle better. The reason i like them better is because a circle hook, especially one with an offset eye, has a pivot point much closer to the end of the hook. ANY hook will come out if pressure is applied on it's pivot point. But with circles this is almost impossible to do because it is so far away from where the line is tied. Therefore i have less fish come off (also have a better hookup ratio personally). But i use octopus when either fishing open water for blues or when the fish are not biting hard and a hookset is required.

11. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I totally love octopus hooks, in my experienc you can let fish load up on them just like a circle hook. You can also go old school and set the hook if you like.

12. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
  13. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with Ken, Thats all I ever use driftfishing, The Gamakatsu-Octopus-Circle from 4/0--8/0 . I have a close friend that guides at santee, last year his guide service , boated over 9-ton of catfish with the same hook.........

14. imhotep

imhotep New Member

State:
    Rosiclare, Illinois
    i fish the Ohio river only and i fish for blues only ...BIG blues...and in deep water .....with a 3-6 oz sinker...tight line....i have found either hooks work well....i seldom lost a large fish....as they hook them self ....i only reach for the rod when its bent over....using live shad hooked in the tail or eyes...most of the time i am in 40-60 ft of water in a sharp bend in the river with the current ....anchored...but everyone has their own way of fishing but i like both hooks :)

15. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    8/0 Wide gap for me love them, havent yet set the hook and not felt the bend of the rod havent missed any fish this year. i use the stainless steel ones.....

16. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Thanks to Cliff for posting this and for you guys responding. I got alot of info from it concerning octopus hooks.

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used them for years but haven't caught a single octopus. I will keep trying.

18. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Danny, keep trying, but i think your putting your bait on back-erds, or maybe upside-down-erds.

19. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Post! I was just wondering I do alot of drift fishing fof channel cat and usually use Kahaly hooks and some times the cats bite short I mean they really bang the bait and I don't get the hook set. My question is then do you feel that the Octopus Circles would work better than Kahaly, and would the hook up percentage be higher? thanks Bigcatman0816.