octopus circle hooks ... snell??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by magicman22, Jun 17, 2009.

1. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

So I have some gama octopus circle hooks and am assuming they work the same way as regular circle hooks (no hookset required) but I have noticed some people say they should be snelled (uni-knot snell) so the hook gets the direction of pull the same direction as the shank since they do have an offset eye...for better hook-ups.

Any comments? Thanks

2. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Snell or Palomar; you will not notice any difference. Except you can tie a Palomar in the dark.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use only octopus circle #7 or #8 and only use the palomar knot. Never had a problem.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never tie on a hook with an offset eye. They're made for snelling only Imo. If you tie it on the hook doesn't pull straight.

5. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i use 8/O gamas and always snell. i don't know if it actually makes a difference in hook-ups, but they are made to snell so i snell. i usually have 20 or so snelled and ready to go, kept individually in little zip lock bags from wally's craft department. but i also change hooks after each fish to ensure against frayed leaders.

6. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I snell everything from size 6 gill hooks, to 8/0 Gama Octopus Circle. I am not that experienced yet to tell the difference between the palomer hook up % versus the snell, but the hook does sit in a better position with the snell. :cool2:

7. bearman3176

bearman3176 New Member

State:
    Natural Bridge
    I USE A 8/0 CIRCLE WITH A PALOMAR 30LB TEST WITH A 60 LB LEADER NEVER HAD A PROBLEM

8. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use 7/0 gama octos with a palomar, and my buddy uses them
    snelled. We have seen little difference in hook ups.

9. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

Thanks for all of the replies...I may use some snelled and some with the palomar knot through the offset eye and see if I notice any difference. I just thought if I could do something to make hook up rate increase I would do it! Thanks again...as always many knowledgable people here!!

10. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    If you miss a hook up with a fish I can promise you that while there may be a million reasons for the miss, the type of knot you had tied is not one of them. I see too many guys (in hunting, fishing, football, baseball, etc.) always looking to blame failure on a piece of equipment when the real failure was the operator.

I have been using the palomar knot for 15 years now and I can not think of an instance where I have ever said "Man, I sure wish I hadn't used that knot". However, I can think of a bunch of times where I waited to long to set the hook, didn't set the hook hard enough, etc. :wink:

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i can tye my snells in the dark easier than a palomar. i picked the easyest snell to tye when i learned, cut a leader run the line through the top of the eye so the tagline is running along the shank of the hook pinch the line to the hook shank, with other hand grab the leader line a couple inches above the hook and wrap the line around the hook starting at the eye going down ~7 times pinch the coils and take the far end of the leader and this time go through the eye going up and pull tight, DONE! only down side to this snell it takes two ends of line to tye (leader only).

12. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    I agree that the offset eye is a snelling hook, at least I know of no other reason for the offset angle...?

I prefer not to snell using over 30lb mono, then a Palomar all the way.

Since we're talking circles, what's the difference between a circle and an Octo circle??? I was always told, no dumb questions :wink:

I'll see how long it takes for someone to tell me there's a search feature... lol

Thanks...
    SS

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    hey there is a serch feature lol. think that is the differance between circle and oct circle. oct has up turned eye.

14. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    I snell my circles but for a much more important reason than hookups. I think they look a lot cooler. :tounge_out:

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    all my knots are "improved clinch knots" except where i join my leader to my braid then i use a "uni-knot" and i haven't had any problems at all:wink:

16. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As to the hooks not working if you try and do a standard hookset, well I have actually had better luck if I give a slight tug instead of just reeling them in. If you dont think they will work that way, tie a hook on a long piece of line, hold the hook in your hand with your hand closed the same as a fish mouth would be, then pull as hard as you can on the line. Think you will get a hook stuck in your hand? Chris

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'll have ta give that a try :smile2:

18. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just a matter of preference I suppose. I have used both snells and palomar and can't see a difference in hook ups. So I just use the palomar all the time. Very rare to loose a fish with either when the rod loads up.

19. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

It seems like when I use circle hooks I always just get light to light/medium taps on the rod. I can't really get the fish to take my bait (stink bait worm with octopus circle hook) hard enough to hook themselves and load up to pole. (had better luck using trebel hooks) It happened once for my wife (when she was using circle hook) and when we was raising the channel cat up out of the water the fish came unhooked. :confused2:

Well all I can say is I will keep trying my hand at the circles...seems many of you fine cat chasers love them.

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like the octopus circle hooks when using live bait or cut bait