October Fishin

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Cuz, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello all. After 35 days in Orlando, I'm pretty much fried and I need to do some fishin. I'll be putting in this week at least twice for sure. (Kutter, U up for some fishin?) Anyone been fishing this past week on the Miss? If so, hows the river levels, and hows the bite? Have the Blues moved into the deep holes yet, or are they still free swimming? Thanks for any information. If I get into em this week I'll post and let everyone know. As well, are there any good strategys for fishing the month of October. I know, I know, I sure got alot of questions. I just want to catch some fish. I got the itch. BTW, that wasnt me flying JetBlue 292 into Los Angeles the other day. It was a buddy of mine though. He did a great job. I have flown that airplane before, back in August. Anyway, thanks for the concern from the folks that emailed me. NOW, give me good fishing advice. LOL. Best Of Luck Fishing everyone, and thanks for any information.

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Jet, you may have seen my post about last Saturday already. I caught 8 fish that went 133 lbs. 3- 5lbers, 14, 23, 25, 26, & 30. The 30 was a Flathead. Caught them above dikes and on the backside of dikes. A great day.

Today I went out and couldn't "buy" a fish at the dikes. Wind was blowing hard (25-30mph), so I couldn't fish behind the dikes. Ended up catching a few on a rip rap/ revetment bank. Slimcat & I got a 2, 10, & 15. Also lost one probably 20 or so.

Water was around 72 degrees.

Keep after 'em!

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the insight. Sounds like the fall bite is kicking in. You had a good day. When the wind picks up to 20Kts or so, the bite goes south for sure. Thx for the water temp update. Its dropped 12 degrees since I fished last with Kutter the first week of September. I appreciate the information. Good Luck Fishin!!! :cool:

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was up in the West Alton area, working, and they were catching some nice fish on shad and skip jacks on the mighty miss. They were there below the damn. good luck!!!

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    catch some for me jetdriver ,i most likely wont be out for the rest of the year working on sponsers for the 2006 uscat tourney trail,no i will have to fish inbetween looking for sponsers

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Howdy folks. Just got back in from Fishin this afternoon. Bite was real slow. I got a 15 pound Blue and a 7 pound Flat, 2 drum, and thats all I have to show for 7 hours of fishin. Went out three days ago and all I managed was a gar for 6 hours of effort. Man, I sure hope the bite picks up. I'm bout ready to park the boat for the winter, and dawn my camo for the antlered varmints. I'll probably have better luck. River Level is stable, and water temp is steady at 66 degrees. I'm paintin plenty of fish in the holes, they just have lock jaw. I hope everyone else is doin better than me.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Went out Friday and only caught one channel about 10" long..sure hate waisting my frozen shad and not have anything to show for it..not even a hard bite! Saw plenty of fish on my finder but no takers! At least the Missouri river and Mississippi had something in common for us!

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I went out yesterday, nothing...not even a bite. Went out again today caught a bunch of nice juicy fresh shad......nothing biting at ALL!!! I sat out there for 5 hours and got a couple little, I mean little tugs..... that's it.

I set out a line and I'm going to run it in the morning....hopefully I'll find a couple fish. So far October has been REALLY slow for me.

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I went out on Saturday. Fished Sun up to Sun down. Caught a 13, 2- 18's, & a 28. Lost another one probably around 25-30. Also lost one around 15. The one's I caught were all blues.

Struck out on the dikes. Caught all these on Revetments/ rip rap banks & also cuts. Caught one skipjack, which I used to catch the 28 & a 18. Caught the others on frozen skip.

I'm ready for about a 50 lb Flathead but I think they know my plan, so they are eluding me.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I guess I don't know what you're talking about when you mention revetments / rip-rap banks and cuts? Not familiar, could you enlighten me? Pleeeeease.....

Also, does anyone know where to catch some skips on the missouri? I've caught them before on the mississippi below the dam in west alton but have yet to catch any on the missouri..

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    River-Rat, a rip rap bank is a bank that has all kinds of rocks on it that have been placed by the Army Corp of Engineers. Usually this is an area where you can't even see dirt, it's all rocks.

Now Revetments are basically concrete slabs laid down by the above people to help with erosion. However, what's happened over time is the dirt eroded under the slabs and they buckle. This makes great catfish habitat. Now where I fish on the Mississippi there are a combination of these. Concrete buckling slabs with rocks all around.

Now cuts are simply where you have a shoreline that goes back in and comes back out. It is not straight. Many times in a cut, the water will be flowing the opposite direction. That's called a current break. Often times where the water flowing the opposite direction meets the regular current, is a great spot to cast your line. This is especially good if there is a drop off associated with this area. You have reduced current right there and cats will lay there ready to ambush their prey.

I hope that helps.

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Out on Miss. today about 6 hrs. water rising, heavier than usual current around Cuiver & Peruque islands couldn't find a bite anywhere. Fish all over but lockjaw. Beautiful day though. :rolleyes:

13. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    turtle, how far off the bank do you fish that rip rap? I fished the dikes all day last Friday and nothing.. I need to expand my horizons to get just a taste of what you are catching out there..

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Ran a trot line this morning...I placed it right behind a wing dike...used fresh shad for bait and had a couple 10lbers on the line. They were close to the dike and in about 6 feet of water. The hooks in deeper water were not touched.

Also fished rod and reel, this time I fished above the dike and was getting bites but they just wouldn't run with it. I put on smaller hooks...bites but no fish on, then put on a circle hook...bite, but no fish hooked.

I rebaited the trot line and going to run it again in the morning. I'll let you know the results.

15. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Dave, I've been judging how far out from the bank I go by the current speed. I'm close enough where I could cast on the bank if I tried. This bank I fish is on an outside bend and the bank marks the channel, so it is a steep drop. Even right off the bank like this I'm still mainly fishing 30 feet deep and sometimes 40-50. It takes every bit of 8 ounces and sometimes 10 to stay on the bottom.

16. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Then I can say that you are out in the main current?50 yards or more off the Rip rap?

17. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    No, I'm definitely not out in the main current. I could cast to the bank without too much effort. 50 yards is a pretty good distance. Maybe 20 yards. It varies though, as different sections of the bank have different velocities of current. You just have to experiment a little. I just pick a spot and set up. There's not really any setting up on a specific piece of structure because the entire bottom is hills, valleys, drops, etc.

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks Shane,,, I'll try to find an area like that outside the main channel..I remember a lot of rip rap on the Missouri but I think it is on the channel side of the river..just might have not noticed it on the other sides..

19. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Dave, I am fishing on the channel side of the river. Technically, in the channel but being this close to shore I'm not feeling the brunt of the current.