Octane booster

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by justwannano, Apr 24, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My old chrysler outboard is a relic of the past.
    A high performance engine that is not gonna give me its best because of the poor quality fuel sold today.
    At least thats what the mechanic I took it to to have it checked out last year told me.
    So I'm wondering would it be in my best interest to use an octane booster? You know the kind sold at wal mart?
    I've already been told by a couple of mechanics not to use ethanol.Just regular gas. I asked about using premium and was told that its better to use regular because you don't know how long that premium has been stored.
    So what do you guys think?
    the best to ya
    just

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Use 87 or 89 octane and no boosters that are for outo's. You might add some sea foam to help it burn but anything else is either harmful to that engine or a waste of money.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Another point is the fuels octane in relation to the engines compression ratio. High performance engines with high compression ratios need higher octane to burn the combustion charge under high cylinder pressures to eliminate detonation. 2 strokes dont have high compression ratios compared to 4 strokes. The high octane fuel would only be a waste of money.