Oconee and Appalachee Rivers - Blue catfish Flathead catfish explosion?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by CaptCatFish, Dec 18, 2005.

1. CaptCatFish

CaptCatFish New Member

State:
    N.C.
    On a recent deer hunting trip, I heard several stories (and saw a few pictures) about how blue and flathead catfishing is taking off in the Oconee Lake, specifically the Oconee and Appalachee River arms. Someone said it will be the next Santee-Copper (which is really hard to believe).

Can anyone confirm or deny these rumors?

Best regards

CaptCatFish

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I don't know about flats in Oconee, but I know a guy who fishes it, during the day, and brings home 20 to 30 cats each trip. From what I hear Oconee is full of cats. as for the next santee, well I don't know about that

3. PALMER

PALMER New Member

State:
    Kansas
    may have to check that area out.:big_smile:

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive been hearing the same thing lately could be something to keep an eye on

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    went fishing last night where river dumps into the lake....about 10 pm caught a healthy blue that was every bit of 20 pounds....caught em off of a small lively bream off the bottom. anyone else fishing oconee lately?

6. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the cats will come out to play just feed them dont forget to play hide the hook........and see what you get......:smile2::tounge_out::smile2:

7. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    fished the same spot as last post. around midnight had a nice steady pull on the clicker......ended up being about a 13# flathead....about 1 in the morning had a real quick jerky run , just as i missed the hookset a big ol' cat rolled on the top of the water. Im guessin it had to be a nice blue due to how he was peelin line off the clicker. I did get my bream back all mangled. I also had a 1# bass i caught while baitfishing out on a 10 ought hook that never got hit. As the water cools in the next couple months things should get good.

8. GaDep

GaDep New Member

State:
    GA
    Been hitting Sinclair but haven't tried Oconee but will give it a try soon as Alligator season is over!!

9. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i've fished sinclair once below the oconee dam off the fishing pier. We caught a few decent blue cats and channel cats. I think oconee with the rivers feeding the resovoir have a more established flathead population. Although i really need to fish the spillway below the sinclair dam, i have a feeling there have to be some nice flatheads in there. I went down there and scouted it out and it looks promising. Anyone know anything about the sinclair spillway??

10. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    me and cretues fished the oconee friday night......caught good bait. Fished until 2 am..........two runs= no fish on the bank..........hopefully we can do better next time.

11. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    Caught my PB Oconee cat this afternoon....nice fat blue cat, around 30-35 lb range, didnt have a camera with me....but it was the first time i even fished that spot so i will be back. I found this spot last week.....it's about 3 miles back on a WMA road, then an additional mile walk through some woods. I don't think anyone else has fished it before....its a nice big bend in the apalachee river just before it dumps into lake oconee....if you cast out 20 yds your bait drops down so far it looks like you're about 5 ft off the bank. I got to the spot around 4 pm......set up my rods and holders and all....casted out 3 live bream off the bottom, the i got the smallest bream( which was a tiny warmouth) and hooked him through the eyes about 10 ft deep on a slip float........i threw out into the slow current and really didnt pay too much attention to it. I sat down and was getting ready to have a smoke since I had just gotten set up. After about not even 5 minutes have gone by when i look up and notice i can't find my float?? I then look at my rod in the rod holder in the bank.....my rods doubled over and drag is being pulled out....i jump up and the fish was already on....didnt even have to set the hook, he must have just grabbed in and went........he ran hard down the bank of the river crossing a couple lines......after two hard runs i managed to beach him and turn him loose. I wish i had bought a throw away cam.....I will be back at that spot soon though....after that fish i had no runs ......i fished until 8:30...

12. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I beleive i found myself a honey hole on the apalachee river arm of lake oconee. Same spot as last post, I fished it last Monday from about 6 am till 11......i didn't catch anything that day although i threw out a live 12" bass right when i got there that morning......I let him soak for about 2 hours when my rod starting tapping lightly.....a few minutes later i had a hell of a run on my clicker. I missed whatever it was, but it was very exciting knowing something in that hole took a big bait like that. I didn't end up hooking into anything monday morning, but i did fish it again yesterday afternoon into last night. I will post results on the following post.......

13. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    yesterday i got off from working overnight around 11 am..i went home and got my stuff together then went to one of my bream holes. Catching bream was kinda slow, I ended up getting about 8 small bream. I got to my river spot around 2 , baited up and threw in. Fishing was slow all day long and by the time the sun was setting i only had one live bream left and i had mostly cut bait out. My eyes were starting to get heavy and i really didn't feel like packing up and making the long grueling walk back through the woods to my car. I ending up dozing off just after the sun set.....around 7:30 i wake up to one of my clickers singing........i wake up and slowly walk to my rod....pick up, engage the reel...........rod loaded up instantly. Moments later i put a 15# flattie on the bank. Caught him on the tail section of a small bream. After that i still had 3 rods with cut bait still out and i had the live bream out which i hadn't touched in a few hours. I decide to sit back down and doze off some more. About an hour later i get woken again by another bait clicker, this was on the live bream this time. The clicker was singing kinda fast and steady, I picked up and engaged the reel, the rod loaded up instantly and it felt heavy. After a very nice fight i put a monster flattie on the bank, this one was pushing 35-40# range. The bream was actually still on the hook on the top side of his jaw, i unhooked the flattie and used the mangled bream as cutbait. I cut the bream in half and threw him out on two different rods and sat back down the get some shut eye. About another hour later i was woken again, i had a bream head out on the same rod i caught the biggun on. The clicker was going good when i picked up the rod. I had a good hookset and actually fought another very nice feeling fish for about 2 minutes when the line snapped. I didn't check my line after catching the last fish, and im sure his teeth tore the leader up pretty good. Anyways i did have a camera with me this time, i got pics of the two i put on the bank........and im gonna keep fishing this hole hard so i should have some more pics before too long. I will post pics when i get them since it is on a throw away camera....

14. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like you found you a good honey hole. Congrats Aaron on the nice fish and story.

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Dang Aaron, that sounds like a sweet spot man! I am glad to hear that some big fish are being caught. I can't wait to see the pictures.

16. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    Just a couple days ago I got access to a private boatramp that is right in the apalachee river. It's only 25$ for the year, and it saves me about a 10 mile boatride from the closest public ramp down in the main lake. I fished the river last night. Put the boat in at about 7 and scouted the river for an hour or so. Fished several spots throughout the night w/ livebream, ended up with two small 10# flatheads. One of the fish I didn't even know was on the line. I was reeling up to move and the fish was actually under the boat and guthooked. He's in the fridge now, I don't think he was gonna make it......gonna try again tomorrow night..........bassmassey

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Good luck buddy catch a boat load

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All of that sounds like some good fishing, I will be sure to hit it up when I get to Georgia in the spring. Thanks for all the info

19. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I did do pretty well thurday night. Me and my buddy that works at the marina across the street fished the river. He fishes these bass tournaments around here but I think I'm doing good at converting him. We went to catch bait and caught about 2 dozen good sized bream, and I even caught a lil 12" bass. If i were by myself I would haven't thought twice about throwing em in the baitbucket......but I knew he fished bass, so out of respect I made sure he was cool with it......he said the lake has too many small bass anyway and if anything it would probably help. Well we put in just before dark and motor down to a spot that I thought was promising. we were anchored down and not long after i put a 16# blue cat in the boat. caught him off the deep side. about two hours went by and we had most our baits along the bank in about 2-3 ft of water. I reeled one rod in to check my bream and he wasn't too lively so i put that lil bass on and tossed him up right against the bank. Now I was fishing with a khale hook with the reel locked down good in the rodholder. not even 20 minutes past when that rod tip about touched the water......i reeled the line down as tight as i could and struggled to get the rod out of the holder........this was a good fish! I get it out and proceed to give this fish hell....like a dummy i decide to stand up on my bench seat in my lil jonboat like im fighting a damned tarpon or something....the fight continues for about a minute when the line snapped loudly....you know where i went right? my ass went straight into the river....i mean i went down a lil bit too....i had to swim to get back to the surface.....it happened so quick it wasn't real scary......but thinking back i was pretty scared down in that water. my buddy said i just plain dissapeared......then when i came up i shot right back up into the boat......I thought i heard it was hard to get back into a jonboat?? i mean i guess i wanted back in badly....lol good thing is i didn't get hurt and didn't lose the rod. we fished until about 2 cause it got cold and i my shorts were still wet.......we ended up with another bluecat that went for about 10#, and missed a couple good runs......I'm going back out tonight.......and now i know in a lil boat keep your ass on the seat....lmao........bassmassey

20. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    just got back in from the river........skunked. me and a buddy fished off my boat and another buddy and his brother fished off there boat on the other side of the river. not any hits or anything.....we threw live bream at them and they had a lil bit of everything......they were fishing with livers, crawlers trying to catch some eaters. The same spot produced good just two nights ago......bassmassey