OCF's great perch trap trials

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by osageCo_flathead, Jan 26, 2006.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys, over the last few weeks I have been nothing short of bored and decided to make a few perch traps of different designs and experiment with different baits. I tested your typical cylindrical shaped trap with the cone entrance and Sam's Blue Gill Trap. I used multiple baits and came to some neat results.

First off, Sam's Blue Gill Trap:

This trap will catch any and all sizes of bait (this excludes you people that use 5 pound carp for bait). Since putting this trap in the water I have caught everything from 1/2ound perch to a few crappie in the 1 pound range. It is a very simple trap to use. You can design your trap door to suit your liking. I made a large door in the side, cut a bungee cord into and attached it on one side of the door and simply attach to the hook end on the other and it works great. I would strongly recommend using rabbit wire crimper (I purchased mine at Atwood's) to put this trap together with some good zip ties for those areas where the squares do not exactly match up... like making the bait entrances. This trap naturally costs more money to make than your traditional cylinder shaped trap because it takes more wire to make it. It also takes more time to make Sam's Blue Gill trap when compared to the traditional cylinder trap...but don't let that discourage you....because it is a great trap that will catch you quality bait. You can find Sam's trap here.

Traditional Cylinder trap (aka minnow trap, tct) :

Put in the same water as Sam's trap, with the same bait this trap yielded fewer bait. But its beauty is in it's simplicity and cost effectiveness. You can make 2-3 (according to your size preference of traps) TC T's (traditional Cylinder trap) to one Sam's BG trap. It can also be made in half the time. You can put TCT's in smaller bait holes as well. I caught mostly small perch and a few crawdads in the TCT. But, it could be argued a person could put out more traps in a wider spread area using the TCT. You can fashion one of these traps in less than 30 minutes using zip ties or Rabbit wire cripmpers.

Conclusion: Personally I liked Sam's Blue Gill trap the best because I caught a lot of quality bait out of the trap. It is the only bait trap I have ever used in which multiple different sizes of fish could be caught. But I could see people liking the TCT better due to the fact it costs less to make and it assembled much quicker and easier. Basically, you cant lose either way because it leads to a day full of cat fishing. Now onto the baits.

I used several different baits to see what I would catch. I used bread with anise extract poured onto it, dog food both soft and dry, chicken liver, canned corn, and sardines in oil.

The bread and anise oil combo worked well. I caught several nice size crappie and perch using this combo in the traps. I was never once skunked.

The dog food did not work as well as the bread and anise oil. The canned dog food worked better than the dry. I caught crawdad's and a couple of perch the entire time this way.

Corn: I caught 2 small perch and that is it...may have been by accident.

Liver: Liver worked ok. A few perch and crawdads were about it.

Sardines in oil: I bought the Sardines at Wally world for 50 cents a can. I poked several holes in the can and placed it in the traps. What I learned about this bait is that you will catch a large variety of bait. Bull heads, perch, crawdads, crappie, and a few Small bass were pulled out of traps using this bait. Also one can with several holes poked in it will continue to catch fish for up to 5 days to a week.

To conclude: The Sardines worked well and caught a large variety of bait. But the bread sprinkled with anise oil worked great for perch and caught the most perch. The best combination for catching a variety of bait is to use the sardines in Sam's BG trap. The best for catching perch was Sam's BG trap baited with the bread-anise combo. I hope this will help a few of you and I plan to try a few new trap designs and baits over the next few weeks and I'll give another report...thanks for reading....Billy (AKA osage county flathead).

You can see Sam's BG trap in the BOC Library linked at the top of every thread. Right here.

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks, if you get a chance, test stryaform packing pellets against your best bait and let us know the results, I have good luck on it, but have not really compared it to other baits.

Jim

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jim, I thought I was the only one who knew that trick.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    are you serious about styrofoam peanuts for bait? never heard/thought of them. I wonder how that tct trap would work with the sardines for eel in the lehigh river?? Hmm....

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a test for someone with a trap to try: styrofoam peanuts vs a piece of a styrofoam coffee cup or plate.

6. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have used chunks of styrofoam from old minnow buckets in my traps and the styrofoam works just as good as bread, but i dont always have styrofoam on hand to use.

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the post, always looking for a better bait trap.

8. dobbie

dobbie Member

Are you guys using the styrofoam in muddy water or clear water?

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    We should all re-consider using Styrofoam in the traps. It does not degrade and is there for quite a long, long time. Seems as though bacon or bread would be a lot better for the fish and the environment.

10. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try getting meal cake.It looks like particle board.It is fish meal and cotton seed. Fish meal is ground up menhadden.This also works good for baiting shrimp.It can be bought at feed stores and some tackle shops.

11. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use bread, and it works well nearly every time. How long does the styrafoam last in the trap before it has to be replaced?

12. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am going to try the styrofoam (excuse the spelling) in the sam's bait trap. today. I'm going to drop it before I go to work then when I get off I will check it. If I fair well I will probably go fishing. If not I will probably go fishing. Will report back eventually

13. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well the trap was in the water about 10 hours and only caught two very small perch. I decided to go ahead and leave it in the water untill tommorrow just to see if may they need a little more time. Oh, and this time I threw it a little further out to a little bit deeper water not much more though. I'm hoping this will give me more fish. If not well I will try a different spot or different trap bait.

14. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :angry:I went to the lake to get the trap. I was pulling the trap in and.....yeah you guessed it the dang thang got stuck. Through frustration and pulling too hard I broke the rope. I proceeded to stand there with my head cocked determination. I will get the rubber boots and swimming trunks I geuss

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I built Sam's trap in about two hours using zip-ties, leaving the tails on them. I figured that the tails might attract the 'gills.

I baited it with two stale hot-dog buns that just fit the bait cage perfectly. I added a stainless steel loop made from the core of a throttle cable to fasten a light line to for the float.

I placed the trap in three feet of water between large weedbeds and left it there all night. The next morning, I removed three dozen 1 1/2" to 3 1/2" sunfish of several species. The trap was re-baited and replaced in the same location to be retrieved the next morning.

The second day, the trap held about two dozen like-sized sunfish. The trap is a complete success... catching only bait-sized sunfish. I pulled the trap and remanded it to my garage until needed again.

16. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    man you did well. Mine ended up being hung on a down tree, go figure. I got it though. I had to wade in neck deep water though. I'm going to put some bread in it this time and see if my results increase. Hot dog buns is a good idea thank you.

17. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok, I have been having very nice results now that I have hotdog buns as bait. I have been averaging 10 fish per 10 hour period. I also got a very big bluegill in a couple of the periods. I am very happy with the results. So much so that I made another trap. This time I made the other bream trap in the library. I am still going through the trial period with it. I made it today and baited it up. I have it about 100 yards away from where I have my big one. This must be the best way to get bait ever.

I think that the next road to travel on my way to master angler will be casting nets. This skill intrests me and I think when I get a boat it will be a useful weapon in the arsenal. that is another thread though. I appreciate everybodies input and help. Good luck to all with you perch trap trials.

18. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    thanks for the info!
    aaron

19. waldorftbeagle

waldorftbeagle New Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone have a picture of these traps?

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho