OCF's great perch trap trials (long read)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by osageCo_flathead, Jan 26, 2006.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys, over the last few weeks I have been nothing short of bored and decided to make a few perch traps of different designs and experiment with different baits. I tested your typical cylindrical shaped trap with the cone entrance and Sam's Blue Gill Trap. I used multiple baits and came to some neat results.

First off, Sam's Blue Gill Trap:

This trap will catch any and all sizes of bait (this excludes you people that use 5 pound carp for bait). Since putting this trap in the water I have caught everything from 1/2ound perch to a few crappie in the 1 pound range. It is a very simple trap to use. You can design your trap door to suit your liking. I made a large door in the side, cut a bungee cord into and attached it on one side of the door and simply attach to the hook end on the other and it works great. I would strongly recommend using rabbit wire crimper (I purchased mine at Atwood's) to put this trap together with some good zip ties for those areas where the squares do not exactly match up... like making the bait entrances. This trap naturally costs more money to make than your traditional cylinder shaped trap because it takes more wire to make it. It also takes more time to make Sam's Blue Gill trap when compared to the traditional cylinder trap...but don't let that discourage you....because it is a great trap that will catch you quality bait.

Traditional Cylinder trap (aka minnow trap, tct) :

Put in the same water as Sam's trap, with the same bait this trap yielded fewer bait. But its beauty is in it's simplicity and cost effectiveness. You can make 2-3 (according to your size preference of traps) TC T's (traditional Cylinder trap) to one Sam's BG trap. It can also be made in half the time. You can put TCT's in smaller bait holes as well. I caught mostly small perch and a few crawdads in the TCT. But, it could be argued a person could put out more traps in a wider spread area using the TCT. You can fashion one of these traps in less than 30 minutes using zip ties or Rabbit wire cripmpers.

Conclusion: Personally I liked Sam's Blue Gill trap the best because I caught a lot of quality bait out of the trap. It is the only bait trap I have ever used in which multiple different sizes of fish could be caught. But I could see people liking the TCT better due to the fact it costs less to make and it assembled much quicker and easier. Basically, you cant lose either way because it leads to a day full of cat fishing. Now onto the baits.

I used several different baits to see what I would catch. I used bread with anise extract poured onto it, dog food both soft and dry, chicken liver, canned corn, and sardines in oil.

The bread and anise oil combo worked well. I caught several nice size crappie and perch using this combo in the traps. I was never once skunked.

The dog food did not work as well as the bread and anise oil. The canned dog food worked better than the dry. I caught crawdad's and a couple of perch the entire time this way.

Corn: I caught 2 small perch and that is it...may have been by accident.

Liver: Liver worked ok. A few perch and crawdads were about it.

Sardines in oil: I bought the Sardines at Wally world for 50 cents a can. I poked several holes in the can and placed it in the traps. What I learned about this bait is that you will catch a large variety of bait. Bull heads, perch, crawdads, crappie, and a few Small bass were pulled out of traps using this bait. Also one can with several holes poked in it will continue to catch fish for up to 5 days to a week.

To conclude: The Sardines worked well and caught a large variety of bait. But the bread sprinkled with anise oil worked great for perch and caught the most perch. The best combination for catching a variety of bait is to use the sardines in Sam's BG trap. The best for catching perch was Sam's BG trap baited with the bread-anise combo. I hope this will help a few of you and I plan to try a few new trap designs and baits over the next few weeks and I'll give another report...thanks for reading....Billy (AKA osage county flathead).

You can see Sam's BG trap in the BOC Library linked at the top of every thread.

2. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks, I have been wondering about the trap. Making it is on my list of to do things along with drift socks.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Billy, I may attach this post to the library posts. Great work and thanks.

4. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, I plan on doing some catfish back yard research on certain topics such as making dough baits. I also am going to start making some chums and see what works best in whatever given situation.