Ocean Side 303?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by chuck luck, Jun 8, 2006.

1. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    Does anyone know anything about this reel? My dad has one that belonged to my great uncle Bill. He taught me alot about fishing. I googled this reel and came up empty. I'm hoping someone here can help. Thanks, Chuck.

2. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    Dad said it was a Penn, but I looked at it today, and it doesn't say penn on it anywhere. So if you guys have any info on whatever a ocean side 303 is, let me know. Now I feel like a complete idiot. :confuse:

3. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    might help if you could post a picture of it

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i googled as well and nothing came up. seems like we have a mystery on our hands.

5. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    It's not the same model though. I'd really like to find on of these. Atleast find some info on them. I'll try to get some pics of it up soon. Thanks, Chuck.

6. coonboydan

coonboydan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I got 1 in box used only 2 times,mint cond.but not forsale with out bidding on it.its a level wind.I will even start the Bid,$50.00

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Welcome to BOC Chuck, well now I'm curious I'll be watching this post, I like older reels anyway.

8. lickskillet

lickskillet New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wow! Old thread. Just happemed to have aquired one this AM. Googled and here I am. Wondered if anyone ever came up with any further info?? Ain't good at pictures but will try a little later.
    The old reel seems to be pretty well made and is functional. Don't look bad either.
    Thanks, 'n keep yer hooks sharp!

9. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    Is it Ocean Side or Ocean City? Ocean City was where Otto Henze worked before he started Penn

Ocean City

10. lickskillet

lickskillet New Member

State:
    Texas
    Definately Ocean Side, says so right on the reel. I have found several today on various sites while trying to get a schematic for mine. One site had two for sale, very clean good lookin' reels. Looked at too many sites to remember just where I saw them. Wanna find 'em just start looking for a schematic!!
    Yes I took it apart for cleaning and there is one tiny spring I don't know just where nor how to put back#%^$!*&^()#!!!!
    Keep yer hooks sharp Lou.
    Later, lickskillet:unconscious:

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Can you take and post a picture of the offending part, and area that it lives in???:tongue: Maybe, it's similar to another reel.....

12. lickskillet

lickskillet New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I can find those instructions for posting pictures I might can. I got one of them new fangled digital(is) cameras 'n it can stick 'em in the computter. AllI gotta do then is move 'em where I want 'em. I'll give it a shot today.
    lickskillet

13. lickskillet

lickskillet New Member

State:
    Texas
    I took some pictures today of the mystery spring and side plate it lives in. Quality so bad It would never show on screen.
    That sorta got my dander up. That an' the fact since I was about four years old I could put back whatever I took apart, usually with only extraneous, un-nescessary parts left over!!
    Therefore I pulled my thinnin' cap down to about 1/2 inch below my eyebrows an' went to work. In some thin' less than four hours I got her figgered out!! 'Nother hour an she's back, bolted up an runnin' an' stoppin' an' all like that!!
    Think I'll hang a shingle, Odd ball reel repair, my specialty. Brang 'em on!!

Thanks to snagged 'an Lou for your intrest. :wink:

14. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    when my son was younger he took apart one of those Romanian .22s and put it back together with parts left over. it still shot. go figure.

15. lickskillet

lickskillet New Member

State:
    Texas
    I started with Mom's wind-up clocks. it was that tickin' sound, just had to see what was causin' it. Guess that's how we came to tell time by the sun !!!
    I've found that a welldesigned product will tell you, by that very design, 'bout all you need to know as to re-
    assembly. I was just lookin' for the easy way out! At any rate I got everything back in and running smooth. Re spooled with line, taking her out for a trial run this A.M.
    Tight lines and sharp hooks, lickskillet:cheerful:

16. lickskillet

lickskillet New Member

State:
    Texas
    Okay, as ya'll may have seen I got that reel back together and runnin'. I was stumblin' around this am looking to id another reel I got. Found WinchesterBay Rod & Reel up in Oregon, He's got several for sale. They apparently come in three different forms. Ocean Side, Kmart Brand and Olympic, all made in Japan by Olympic. The #303 as well as the #107 I was trying to Identify are Mfg. by Olympic and called Ocean Side.

Just thought you'd like to know. Might be able to share down th' road.