Ocean Herring

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by j12goose, May 20, 2007.

1. j12goose

j12goose New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Got a question about herring. Last year, I went salmon fishing in Alaska. We were trolling 6"-7" herring on downriggers. I smelled a couple of the frozen herring, and I swear, if a guy had his eyes shut, one would call it a shad. I mean they smelled just the same to me. I cut one and they were oily and seemed tougher than a shad. Question is, anyone use these for channels or blues? I know that one can order them from the internet, and it seems like they may be an alternitave when shad are hard to come by.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard of guys successfully using saltwater baits for freshwater catfish, so I'd give it a try if there aren't any skipjack in your area.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the ocean herring might not be too much different than skipjack.

4. j12goose

j12goose New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, I just got to thinking. Shrimp are used with great success all of the time. I believe that a shrimp closely resembles a crawdad to a channel cat. I've never caught a blue on shrimp, so maybe the herring would be the same. Any opinions on this angle??

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well here is one to ponder most herring are from the sea and migrate up the rivers in spring to spawn I have kept sea run frozen bluebacks in my freezer long after they went back out to sea and they were still just as effective

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If Im not mistaken a skipjack is a fresh water herring.

7. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am from Virginia but have ended up in tennessee. I personally can't tell the difference between the "herring" we caught on the chickahominy river and the skipjack we catch below the dams here in TN. they have the same consistency and everything so it seems to me that they may be the same fish or at least are very closely related.

8. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Blue Back herring are good for Altamaha river channel cats.good shark bait too.I use to get mine by the box at lewis crab in brunswick Ga. the commercial crabbers use them for bait.

9. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    we catch the blue back herring in the kanawha river here in wv with a sabiki