Ocean fishing....

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Dec 17, 2007.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hey Gang, went out to do some ocean fishing with my buddy Captn Jack.... You see Jack has moved to Texas, and goes back and forth from his place here and there..... Well he is back for several months and I owed him a trip to get some bottom fish before the closing of the season....

Great day on the water.... fishing was so-so as they were not biting the best... wrong part of the tide maybe.... lots of bait...mucho bait.... bait balls on top.... Lots of birds about the size of pigeons floating on the water and eating something on top... Jack says these birds are usually found in Mexican waters....maybe it is indicating a trend in water conditions? Pretty much a flat calm day..... no clouds, no wind except with the early morning "off shore" wind. started out in the high 40's and then gradually got to about 75 when we called it a day at 1:00

Landed several rockcod, and a good sized salmon grouper (which all tasted great breaded and pan fried in olive oil.....

Fishing the bottom is "touchie/feelie" in that you meter a "high spot" and with fish on it, you then go outside some and then drift over the spot. You could anchor, but who likes to pull up an anchor in 200 ft of water? The Lowrance gps is great for checking the drift.... I use the trails created by the gps to check where I have been, and note the drift, and then go back and drift again....following the same track.... kind of tricky with the wind changing like it was doing out there.

We were under Lax airport...flight path.... some 9 miles out where the planes start making their turns to go here and there....

You have to play the line closely as it is easy to hang up and loose your rigs.... got 50lb line with a 2 hook ganion and we had 12 oz of lead for the trip to the bottom...... I lost three rigs in the rock piles, or in one case it was on a coral head.... Yea, first time for me to do this... got pics to prove it.

Anyway, here is an ole pic of fisherman Plumbertom1 and the typical fish that we caught... (since I did not take pics of the fishing today) actually the fish were smaller than this, and I also included a pics of the coral head that I pulled up attached to my sinker.... You can see a "starfish" looking creature on the coral head as well......took the pic when I got home....

By the way, the hands are not mine... they are my wifes' hands...

later....Bayrunner Ray

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the pics Ray. Rock fishing is some hard work! harder than I like it to be anyways:smile2:. I used to love ocean fishin before I moved to Az. Working the sandy bottoms is a sure way to hook into some halibut (my favorite:dribble:).

3. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Yea... we did try for some "butts" .... 200 ft is deep for them....we did our "butt drift" when we got to 60 ft of water.....and we drifted down the LA sewer pipe which sticks up some 20 feet off the bottom..... got a real nice "Grumpy Sand Bass" ..... about 3lbs.... The Captn is "cooking" in in lemon juice now so that we and have chivichi (sp) tomorrow.....

Good to hear from you Dameon...."come on home"

bayrunner ray

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Awesome report brother Ray......Hey, that star thingy looks like some sort of STD. Seen em in a film the other day in an education class at the Hall. LOL!!!!!:smile2::big_smile::tounge_out:

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    How is our "Mendoa Star? doing?..... Is that fish in your hands from the Slough?

Merry Christmas Robb, to you and youir family.....

Bayrunner Ray

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Nice, someday I will be doing some deep sea fishing. Use to fish the bays in new jersey and some of the jettys at the nearby oceans, lots of fluke and flounder, crabbing was good in the bays.

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That stone with coral on it gives a whole new meaning to the term rockfishing.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That is such an awesome picture Ray! Got Deltalover in it and a bunch of great BOC members!!!! Really cool brother Ray....

Yep, caught that cat at the slough around this time of year.:cool2: