Ocean fishing....

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Mar 25, 2007.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Plumbertom1.... get over here in the am and lets hit the rock cod tomorrow am.....1/2 day..... 7:30 ish.....

call of pm me..... bayrunner ray

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yes, We got out....... a little later than wanted........... but we got into getting fish....

As usual, Tom did the quantity thing... but I got the biggest.... Lots of small "staries"..... and we have pictures to show.... Tom will follow up with the "in detail report".....

bayrunner ray

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Day before yesterday Ray and I were having a hard time making contact. He would PM me and go about whatever and later I would PM him and go do my thing. I tried to call and missed him. he tried to call back and missed me, in other words we were playing message tag.
    Finally I called him in the morning after sleeping late(8AM) which I almost never do and we decided a late start was better than no start so I drove down to his house by the beach and we ran up to Marina Del Rey to launch Ray's boat after a stop for gas and ice.
    Once on the water Ray took us out about 8 miles to his favorite spot for bottom grabbers on the way out we passed the 1/2 day boat The New Del Mar coming back to drop off it's morning angler load with their catch and reload for the afternoon bite.
    Nice day to start out, intermittent sunshine and a light breeze, about 65*.
    We set up amongst about a dozen other boats fishing the area, no big deal, it's a big high spot, and on the first drop with my Berkley Gulp I brought up a fair sized Red Banded rock fish also known as a Flag rockfish or Barber Pole.
    Ray was fishing cut bait, a piece of squid wrapped around a piece of anchovy and brought up a real nice Vermillion aka a Red rock fish.
    Next couple of passes I caught a few small starry rock fish about 6" long
    one of which was cut up for bait.
    We moved to another rise to try again and ray got another nice Red and I got a another barber pole, a treefish and more starries a little bigger this time.
    The wind was picking up now and we were having a hard time staying near the bottom even with me fishing a pound if weight and Ray fishing more than that. The New Del Mar had returned and anchored less than 100 yards from us but at least they weren't in our drift path.
    Any way after a few more fast drifts with only thing coming up being more starries, although good sized ones, we ran in a couple of mile to a spot Ray calls the Sculpin Hole. There we made a couple more drifts, still very fast due to the wind, and I brought up a 12-1/2" Sculpin (yum-yum).
    Ray decided that it was getting on toward feeding time for him so we headed in with a stop inside the breakwater for me to remove the fillets from the fish then loaded the boat for the trip back to Ray's house.

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Good going guys! rock fish and sculpin yummy!.
    Thanks for sharing the picture.

Jaime

5. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    It sounds like you guys had a great time. I can hardly wait for June, when the season opens in this area.

-- Rich

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Think you can find a place to fish?
    Seems to me that most of the best fishing areas were placed inside of MLPAs in the northern part of the state.
    The anti's on the commission are trying to do the same thing down here.
    But we're on to them and are trying to fight them. It's just too bad that Arnold caved and gave them the upper hand.

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    3-5 foot breakers today:eek:oooh: hope you guys stay dry today:tounge_out: