Ocean fish for catfish bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Has anyone ever tried to use cut ocean fish for catfish bait? I have read that catfish like the taste of salt so this would make sense i think.

The reason i ask is im going to alabama all next week and ill be doing some pier fishing and might be bringing back some to try. just wondered if anyone else ever had this thought. let me know!

Tang

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ryan,
    In my opinion, two things are important in a cut bait: oil and blood.
    If the fish has oily, bloody flesh then it will probably catch cats. I have caught blues and channels on mackerel from the ocean.
    Having said that, I have caught them on squid too which is neither oily or bloody. It does have a good smell though...W

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Livein a meer 40 miles from the ocean and bay its a staple around here. Got fellas in work that salt water fish all the time. After they clean them they save me the carcasses and guts. It produces just fine. :wink:

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've used blue fish on channel cats and they hammer it:wink:

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Thats for sure, I've used jacksmelt and squid and both work good, also mackerel

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    have heard it works well. have used shrimp and sardines and caught cats.

7. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've used cut mullet before with some success

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    yep mackerel and bonito make great bait, just don't throw the head away, the head makes the best part of the bait, ol Bluehunter just got a 71lb blue a few weeks back on a head off of 2lb or 3lb mack head. One of the best places to get good fresh mack and bonito is at a Asian fish market, much cheaper then a bait shop and better bait

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    YES, I use them all the time. As mentioned before, Bonita, work great. They are Extremely bloody & the skin is tough as heck. I tend to catch a few turtles on it too. It makes excellent trot line or jug line bait.

You can't beat sardines but they are soft & generally work best as a R&R bait. The mullet are very tough also but lack in "attracting" qualities.

HTH, Elliot

10. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    thanks for all the replies! sounds like i might be bringing some back with me. im sure the wife will be thrilled!

Tang

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Yes the Asian market's or the hispanic market's are the best place to buy fresh mackerel.... out here you can buy 10-12 to a pack there about 12 inch's long for under 3 dollar's.