Ocean City reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by plainsman, Nov 23, 2009.

1. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A friend of mine has an Ocean City reel, a 900 I think. I have googled Ocean City reels and didn't find a website. Best I can tell is the company is no longer in business. E-bay had some reels listed at around 10 bucks. I don't know what the reel is worth, the specs or much else, I think the company started in the 30's and quit in the 50's. Anyone got any info? Whats it worth, what are the specs, line capacity, drag capacity, line rating etc. Thanks.

2. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Well all I can tell you about them is the Co. was in Pa and started making reels under that name in 1923 and ran about 40 years. They did have a modle C - 900 "I think" but I couldn't even guess on the spec. As far as what there worth there are a few collectors of the saltwater surf reels. But other then that I think e-bay is going to be your best bet for comp prices on them.

I would say just spool that puppy up and take it fishing. If it is a larger reel with large spool start with 20-25# test and go from there. Who knows it may be one of those reels that you guy's will like a lot. If so it would be worth more to him to keep and fish with.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    a few months back i was at a yard sale and saw one for sale they wanted 95 bucks for it . i didnt bite thinking that was alot for an old beat up reel but i'm not into salt water reels and wouldnt know if 95 was a good price or if they were trying to take someone for a ride

4. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    they were. big time. i'd have asked them if it was owned by somebody famous.

5. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    theres an ocean city, forget the #, on a heavy boat rod in an antique store that i keep seeing, for about $30. it tempts me, but i won't buy it until i can find a schematic and parts supplier.

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    You might check with whiteriver "Earl" on here.He picked up a 900 I believe as well and he was looking for information.I am not sure if he found out anything or not.

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ocean City was the first reel I owned. I think it cost a whopping $2.50 back in about 1955-56, I got it when I was about 10 years old. Mounted it on an all steel rod with big long cork and wood handle. I still have it. I used it and Mitchell 300's until around mid 80's. Never had any problems with it that I remember. I caught a lot of fish and some good size fish on it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    NO it would not be worth $95 unless it was an earlier modle in mint cond. And then it would only be worth that to a collector.