ocean catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by wayne1967, Aug 8, 2009.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We go to panama city beach in the summer and I fish around St. Andrews park and the surf by the hotel. What type of catfish is it the you start catching like crazy around dusk? I always hope for a shark or ray but these little things must be like shad around here the way you catch them.:big_smile:

2. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    We catch those over here in Jacksonville also. One of these is good eating, the other not so good. Can't remember which one.

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Some people eat the sailcats but I dont like them plus they look like some kind of mutant to me lol:wink:

4. festus

festus New Member

I've caught the gafftopsail catfish every time I fished in Panama City. I took it for granted they weren't good to eat because everyone else threw them back. They reminded me of a fiddler channel cat with a high dorsal fin. I've never seen one over say 16" or 17" long. I have a friend who got finned by one a few weeks ago, and he said it wasn't quite as bad as a wasp sting.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    LMAO @ NOT QUITE AS BAD/..WELL THATS GOOD TO HEAR! HATE TO GET HURT :smile2:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I have caught a few myself ,but i was told they were not good to eat so i have never tried them