Occoquan Reservoir access?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kayakgeek, Jan 30, 2006.

1. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Does anyone know of any night time access to the Occoquan res? I have fished out of Fountainhead Regional park, but you have to be back by dark. Can you launch a kayak or boat from Lake Ridge Park on the south side? The state record Flathead Cat was caught there in the 80's. I wonder if there a still a few big ones in there?

Kayakgeek
    Fredericksburg, VA

2. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Fountainhead has occasional night time tournaments in the summer and is the only way to get on there at night legally. People do shore fish at night at a few spots. I think the whole lake ridge side is off limits though.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    As Ears said, there really is no official way to fish it at night, unless it is possible to launch and have someone either park your truck outside the park overnight, or come back in the AM to pick you up. And, that might not even be allowed. A shame, since there are some mighty big Catfish in there.

4. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    So what I hear you saying is that Lake Ridge Park is not open to the public? Even for a daytime trip?

Geek

5. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Above Bull Run Marina is a parking area for commuters. Kinchloe Rd is across the road from the parking lot. Sometimes you can find a place to pull off there and walk to the water. If the water is up, there is a large flat covered in water. Otherwise you are looking at a 100 yard walk. It's been a while since I've been there so it might have changed.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Kayak,

The boat ramp at Lakeridge Park is open during the day. But, as with Fountainhead, you run into the question of where do you leave your car if it is lawful to spend the entire night on the water.

Tinboat, that is a good way to fish Bullrun overnight, but there is a dam between bullrun and the Ocq, so that would not afford any access that way.

7. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    My topo map book shows a ramp just where Yates Ford Rd. crossed Bull Run. Is that Bull Run Marina? Does Bull Run have enough flow to sustain a Flattie of any size? Could they have moved from the Res. where they were planted into the river/run?? Or like rebcatman said is there a dam?

How big a dam could it be that a kayak or canoe could not be portaged around?

Geek

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Kayak,

Yup, that is Bull Run Marina. The water flow is fine except in late summer if we have not had a lot of rainfall. And even then, there is plenty of water, it is just all in the old channel. I don't know exactly how the Flathead ended up in Bull Run and in the Occoquan river, above the Dam. I do know that in 1966, or thereabouts, the State placed a half dozen-or it could have been a dozen- flatheads in the Reservoir and as they say, the rest is history. At one time(it closed about five years ago) Bull Run Marina was a open full time with a full service bait stand/boat rental, and they had a "lunker" board which had plenty of pictures of flatheads that had been caught from Bull Run.

I do not know how big of a dam it is that is between the reservoir and Bull Run/Occoquan River.

9. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    anyone know what the top horsepower is for the marina area of the occaquan?

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    the limit is 10 HP.

11. Yellowboat

Yellowboat New Member

State:
    carolina
    the VDGIF website has horsepower limits for all bodies of water in virginia

12. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    now if i didnt run my outboard and just used the trolling motor, would that be ok? i have a 25hp on a toon

13. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    You just have to trim the motor first before launching.