Obtaining a permit to carry.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by jdstraka, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well you can all sleep better tonight,That is if you don't live here in Iowa LOL.

Last night I had to go qualify with the hand gun that I will use for the purpose and I'm Telling you folks you needed to be there to believe it.Some of the folks that were trying to obtain a permit would Scare the Hell out of most of us.

There was this one old gal that must have been 75 years old and she had herself a snub nose smith 357 cal.wheel gun that she was shooting,she was in the next firing lane to my left,so the range officer gives us the command to charge our weapons and she doe's ok with that and he says keep your weapons pointed down range and fire when ready.Well I'm Watching this old gal out of my left eye she's holding the gun with one hand and cracks off a round and the gun jumps out of her hand smacks her in the head and knocks her glasses off,The target she is aiming at drops to the floor cause she shot the wire cable in two that runs the target up and backand the gun hits the deck.Range officer hollers over the loudspeaker,Everyone STOP FIREING and holster your weapons NOW!!!!
    He picks up the glasses for the old gal and her gun and takes her off the range and attends to her skinned head.Tells her she needs to go get some lessons at a certified range with a weapons instructor before she comes back.Poor Old Gal was crying when she left.Now this was at the 7 Yard Line.

Now on my right was this Fat Dude all dressed in camo wearing combat boots with the pants legs stuffed in the boots,and wearing this belt and holster with about 10 magizines,Flashlight,and a hunting knife hanging from it,and packing this Desert Eagal 10in barrel in 44 mag caliber with laser sights.I ask him is that the weapon you will be packing when you get your permit?? Yup he says,You have to qualify with the weapon you will be carrying .You have to fire 20 rounds to qualify,10 rounds at the 7 yard distance and 10 rounds at the 15 yard distance and you have to hit the target 14 times out of the 20 rounds fired. So we get our first rounds fired and our weapons cleared and holstered and I looks over at Rambo and his hand is bleading like a stuck hog on the kill floor.I says are you ok?? What Happened.LOL I already Knew Dumbo had his hand behind the slide on the weapon and when it syceled it took the hide off his thumb.I Take a look at his target and he only hit papar 3 times.So I say that laser sight must be off!! Nope he tells me I have to be back further to the 15 yard then this baby is a Tack Driver.He takes a hankie out wipes the blood off his gun and wrapes it around his thumb.The range officer ask him if he was alright and he says Yup just a little scratch.I think to myself Bull CrapCause he done took the whole top of his Kncckle off.

We get back to the 15 yard line and fire our rounds,make sure our weapons are cleared and holstered and retreve our targets. Now old Rambo only cuts paper 6 times and he's studying his target and says Shit I know I hit that damn thing more than 6 times.LOL

Out of the 6 folks that were in my shooting flight only 2 of us qualifed,Two younger ladys were shooting 32 caliber snub semi autos(Rugers) and they diden't make it the first time.they give you 3 trys to qualify and if you don't you have to come back another day and pay $50.00 dollars again to try.

Oh Well you folks can sleep well tonight cause us Iowa Folks are well armed.Just some of us cant hit the Broad side of a Barn.:wink: Later J.D.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    JD congrats on qualification. Sounds like you were having an adverse affect on your firing line partners.:smile2:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jd I know some blue hair quallified somewhere.....thats a little unnerving:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congratulations on your achievement of marksmanship. Now you can be the official campground cop down at the shindig at Truman Lake in May. You probably had them other folks laughing so hard they couldn't even see the targets,much less hit them. I would have loved to be there and see ole Rambo. I've seen those types out at the shooting range where I go,LMAO every time I see one of those wannabees!

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    When I got my permit the first part was a class. The teacher was a police officer and we were in the meeting room at a major sporting good store.
    The class was $20. The first thing he did was ask each person if they could kill someone if needed, when a lady said No that she did not think so He gave her the $20 back and told her she did not need the permit but he asked he to please stay for the class.
    The next question to each person was what gun do you own, the first guys response was "A black one" he also got his $20 back and again was asked to stay for the class but the officer did not think he was ready for a permit.
    When he got to the last lady he asked her what type of gun she had. At this point she said "A pretty shiny one with pink handles and proceeds to open her purse and pull out the pistol, pointing it into the circle of people, to show him.
    Needless to say she got her $20 back and a stern lesson in gun handling and he kept the pistol until the ladies husband could arrange to pick it up.

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    jd what gun did u take ? ur sawed off double barrel ?:big_smile::cool2:

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Way to go JD!
    Sounds like that old gal did need some pistol training and was shooting too large a gun.

When we got our CCW permits, over 10 years ago, the guy came out to our house to give us the training. He was a private detective and retired cop. Made it pretty handy. Since back then the nearest class was 60 miles away. He was the same price as going to a class. He took care of everything, fingerprints, forms even mailing the forms to the State Police.

Back then in AR, you could qualify for up to three different guns but the permit was good only for those guns. The law was soon changed, now the permit is good for any legal hand gun.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Dayton,Here in Iowa you can Qualify with 3 weapons also so I qualified with a 38 caliber snub ultra light,45 colt semi auto,and My favorite 45 long colt 7 1/2in peacemaker,Not that I will be carrying the peacemaker but I wanted the option. Also in Iowa you can only carry the weapons you qualify with.J.D.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    JD, that's exact way it was here before. We both qualified with a Glock 9MM, Colt Python .357 and a Lady Smith .38 SPL.

AR only had that law a few years. People complained and it was changed to what it should have been to start with.

Right now, we need to get the Castle Doctrine law passed in AR. The states prosecutors are the ones against it.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats,J.D. I aint figured out what the fuss over the concealed part is,I would much rather everyone see my weapon of carry. I need to find out if open carry is still legal here in my home state.:cool2:

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    congrats on gettin your permit, one nice thing about gettin a permit in PA is that all ya gotta do is pay 19 bucks and thats it, no tests, nothing

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Congrats JD! I happen to live in 1 of 2 counties in Iowa that won't issue a CCW permit. The county seat has a population of 10,000 people. Hell, the sheriff posse members can't even carry concealed unless they are in uniform. Kind of defeats the purpose, don't ya think? I really don't need one but it would be nice to have. There are a few times that I wish I would of had my .45 tucked away in the small of my back down at the river.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've lived in TX and AR, both states have very strict laws about getting CCW permits.... of which I like. And I'm glad they cost what they do, it serves a good purpose.

For AR:
    A nonrefundable license fee of one hundred dollars $100.
    Plus... $25.,cost of state background check, $19.25 cost of FBI background check.
    Also cost of fingerprints and cost of training by a AR State Police certified instructor.

A renewal fee of thirty-five dollars $35.00 every 4 years.