Observing the Muskingum River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jun 25, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the last few weeks i have been fishing the muskingum as much as i can. there has been more and more fishermen due to the new boat ramp, prob. sites like this, and the todays fishing society. this is nothing i didn't expect. i have been flathead fishing for the past 15 yrs. every year this sport has expanded. i remember 10 years ago, you could go and fish almost any local area, go area any night and not see hardly anyone. now it is a fight and tussle to get to your favorite stretch first. i have no problem with this, this tells me our sport is expandidng rapidly...i don't know if it will ever reach the ranks of bass fishing, but it is obviously growing in great proportions. I think it has made me a smarter fisherman for the fact i have to spend more time looking, scouting and even fishing to find areas, that may be overlooked. however, after all these years it still amazes me the people i see and talk to( like last weekend) that are out bank fishing for flatheads, that have 100 yrds. of camp fire...5 plus lanterns, radio, 3, loud drunken wives...and they wonder why they never catch much!!??? i guess my point is, the state of catfishing has improved....but the average idiot hasn't gained much knowledge from it!

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Well said, sir, well said.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Right after the beer you gotta go to the meat isle and pick up your hot dogs and liver.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah, best bait a bankfisherman can use for flatheads, "Done any good tonight? YEP! Caught a 32 lber . "Broke 60 lb line on another". "Fought em for over an hour, bout drug the boy in." "Lost on last night in the same spot."" I'm sure it was the same one,." what did he take ? "Big chunk of liver, on my treble!" "Didn't steal the bait from momma's hose though..." and there you have it....rollo:smile2:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol fellas, you better be careful. Some big hairy bank fisherman may take umbrage to your flippant remarks and swim out and insert your fishing poles in a water tight orifice not meant for such use!:eek:oooh: lmao

6. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wasn't a few weeks ago and the nephew called up here and said....I was all anchored up here and catching a few channels and some gentleman anchored his boat within casting distance right behind my boat. He said ...they ain't catchin nothin so everytime we get one,we flip on the lights and hoop and holler and try and rub it in all we can.I laughed and told him that he was an awfull little guy to be torquing someone off late at night,and he said yea,your right. About an hour later he called me back and said he went by them wideopen on his way back to the truck...lol. At least he was smart enough to make sure he could outrun em first. That kinda crap really chaps my a** . Ya got the whole Ohio river to fish and some idiot parks 50 yds behind me. Guess they couldn't find their own spot ! I am a nice guy and treat others with the respect they deserve.....untill they do somethin like that !! Lets be courteous ! ...Randy

7. Netman123

Netman123 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You gotta love them!

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have no problem towards bankfishermen, heck i still bank it when the situation may be better for it.... i think it is funny when you get the ones that never learn...and think they can b/s anyone. it's almost like the have lied soo much that they start believing what they are telling you. i had a guy tell me once to try jellybeans at this one spot....said only the purple ones...been catching monster fish on them all year long...nothing but the purple though,...i like the green ones the best lol...rollo:smile2:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    early to bed, early to rise....fish all day then make up lies!!!lol

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a tourney this weekend, 7-7 so im gonna take advantage of the time and head towards the big river...i have fished down towards St. Mary's and towards Marrietta. dunno for sure where i wanna head. any sugs.?..rollo

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, forget the big water and head for the Scioto! :crazy::eek:oooh::cool2:roflmao

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jack, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    is that a nice way of calling someone a wise as$? or u just earned enough points being a dumb a%%? lol:smile2:

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wiseacre: It means the same thing as Wisenheimer, nothing dumb about it, but you got the last part right! lol

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heading south tom. night towards the big river for a tourney. anyone else fishing the mighty muskingum?...catfishrollo

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    got there after dark due to lack of direction. managed 3 flats nothing over 10. actually all around 6-10 pounds. lost a few others. need to do some daytime scouting. should have known better than try to wing it! rollo

17. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I was at Riverside Sat. night til 3 am Sun. Not a single hit and I fished a least three spots I know that have produced. The flats at Riverside are not moving at all or I just have alot of bad luck.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    phil, it wasn't anything to brag about. i was p..off i didn't get to even look at the water before dark. then the fog came in soo fast that threw another loop to it. the spot we initially fished didn't produce. and i found a spot that looked out of the ordinary so we tried it. a couple of logs in the middle of the river, we caught 3 there and lost a nice one. it was a very different looking spot then what im used to looking for. i'm planning on a daytime scoutng trip next time, and saw some other area that has limited access. gonna have to talk to the local landowners and do some talkin!...rollo

19. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    It was real foggy at Riverside also. I would use my spot light and all I would get is a blinding glare in my face.

20. catfishduckhunter

catfishduckhunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, New member here.. Im from Coshocton..and yes I know Shawn..lolol.. I have been on the Muskingum tons the last few weeks..pickins are slim..when is this spawn gonna end..only got a few channels last nite. Got vac sch for 2 weeks from now. Hope its over.. Sure wish all these NEW cat fishermen would explore and stay out of all the spots they pass us at or hear us BSin about..lolol...its all in fun ...good luck to ya all...