Oars or Motor.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by weebrio, Jun 19, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a ten foot Jon, it is equiped with a small trolling motor, I have never run the battery down all the way and I am unsure actually how long it will last.
    I would hate to run out of power when I am quite some distance from my launch site.
    So I looked at motors, yikes, they are not cheap, $700 at least for a new one.
    Then I saw some guys in kayaks and canoes, they really move along quite well.
    I understand my Jon Boat is no streamlined canoe, but I was wondering if just installing a set of oars would be ample to get me where I am going.

Keeping in mind its a 10 foot Jon and I would not be going too far out any way.
    A couple of oars and the row locks would be about $100 and a lot less weight than a motor, the gas would never run out
    I could even eliminate the trolling motor and battery and that is close to 80 pounds I would say.
    Am I being to frugal and silly or do people have Jon Boats with just oars.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Frugal!

Go ahead, splurge... Put a 50hp 4stroke on there....

Using those oars can have no redeeming affect other than it is healthy, will keep you toned, help you live longer, etc....

Why you wanna do that?

Using oars is WORK... and work is a four letter word....

Uhhh.... my vote is POWER!

3. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree rowing is not fun. We got out in the middle of a cove and then had to go back with oars. You are not susposed to sweat when you fish unless the fish on your line is working you hard.

4. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Well, I live in san Antonio Texas, it is going to be hot no matter what I do, I want to have a healthy life style.

The boat is only rated for a 3HP motor any way.
    It just appears to be a big outlay for a tiny motor that is on no real use on amy other baot.
    Any one with oars willing to give some insight.

Work, what I think is hard is bank fishing, carrying a couple of rods a crappie pole a tackel box bait and a seat.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Have you looked at used 2-5 hp motors? Recently I saw an ad for a used 5 hp Briggs for $250. Another option is to get a used backup trolling motor. I've seen them around here for less than $100. Just a thought.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Shawn has it right, as much as it pains me to agree with a left-winger:big_smile:

oars are good for a heart attack..carry a spare battery and a cell phone so you can call for a tow should all else fail:smile2:

7. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a trolling motor, but I dont really know how long I can run the boat with that.
    A cheap second hand motor would work, some of the places I fish are eletric only no gas.

8. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Heart attack, I had a slight disrithyma problem, they recomend exersise to help me.

9. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    How about this find a small used motor and keep the oars in the boat for the days you wqant some exercise. Plus oars are also good snake wooping tools.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I was stationed at Little Rock AFB, I regularly used a friend's 10' jonboat he kept at the Air Force Landing on Lake Conway. All I ever used was a single paddle; I sat in the front of the boat and sculled. Of course, it can be a real problem trying to scull back to shore when a storm blows up, but with a 10' jonboat, you don't need to be out there, anyway.

11. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    oars are always a good thing to have in a boat know matter how big or small. And as for cell phones ya you can call for help as long as you can get a single. my boat is a 16ft with a 25hp and i always make sure that my patels are in the boat before i go out on the water.:big_smile:

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have rowed for years. Just fine in a lake as long as you are not in a hurry. More than a bit of a pain in a river if you need to go upstream. That's why I got the 3 hp for the DC.

When I got my little one I bought a set of long (long is better, faster, better torque) aluminum shaft oars. "Old Town" I think is the brand name. Pretty light weight, float, and as I recall they were about $45 plus $15 or 20 for the locks. (A few years back) If you want to use a motor you can always "ship them" up out of the way and take them too.
    A buddy of mine with a similar boat has taken a small pair of those round straps for pipe and such, bolted them one to a side and bent them to hold his oars up by the blade so as not to get water dripping in the boat when he "ships" them. Works fine.

Big advantage to oars is, if you need to cross shallow water, trees, rocks, you are "in like Flynn". Quiet, and yep, good exercise. A lot more fun than hitting the weight pile and much better cardio.

Downside, if you like to troll down the banks plugging for Bass and such you'll need some one to row for ya.

All in all, cheap insurance.

13. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I looked at oars and such today at Acaedmy sports, I think I will go that route.

14. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    get a portable battery sharger that way if you ever ran out of battery juice you could revive it and fish at the same time and when you want to leave just starter up and go

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i think you should stick to the trolling motor and an oar just in case you run out of battery. unless your taking your boat way out there. i have a 14 footer and a 7 HP motor and that tiny motor makes my boat stick up like a speed boat. jon boats can be dangerous with a gas motor if your not careful.the ones with a stick to steer it with(like mine), if you let the stick go , your gonna do some flips. so my verdict is no motor unless your gonna get in a river. dont get stuck out on the lake in a storm. that wind picks up those waves faster than you may think! be careful out there buddy!

16. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I agree with big-muddy, the oars would be the way to go for a backup and you could always use them when and if you desire some exercise. Cheap insurance!

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My first boat (I was 12) was a rowboat, and I've been rowing ever since.

Know this, though: planing hulls make lousy rowboats, and jons are the worst of the lot. Still, you can make pretty good time with oars on a jon, once you get your moves down.

Every so often, I get a copy of Woodenboat, and drool over the little rowing skiffs that are scattered throughout the pages.

18. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I would look around and see who sells a dash mounted batery meter and buy a set of floating oars. I row around alot and do o.k. but I think a batery meter would solve your problem just fine.

19. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Going way out is not what I am going to do, but just go around the shoreline and venture in to coves and back waters, that looks like it could soon add up to quite a distance.
    Next time I go out I will take the GPS and mesure how far I have gone.