Oakland Rays

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by StankBait, May 4, 2009.

1. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Went up to visit my buddie in E Oaktown. We hit a pier at a park that had a small marina. It was across from Coast G. island, anyone know?? Bert???

Well we thought of calling Bert but I was dialing one of Robs old numbers and not the good one.:embarassed:

We bait up with grass shrimp and squid. About 10am. Slight breeze and drizzle. Red Tail Ale AND American Spirits is our breakfast.....

My buddie Seth gets a run and it breaks his 20lb off.

I get a run that breaks my 20 off.
    He gets a run that he fights a while and snags him up.
    I decide we need more beer,food and bigger line.
    So we come back armed with 40 lb test beer and food.

I get a run and its on!!! It starts pulling that Berkley big game like a train almost spooling me!! I gain on him and do the pier dance boogy for about 10 mins. Get him over to the side and jump on land and beach him. Its my first Ray at about 30-40 lbs .

I get another run and its a smaller one about 20 lbs.
    I jigged a line tied on the rail with a grass shrimp and got a 10'' smelt which I fryed up.Delich.

No pics as I was scared to bring my camera on the pier.:eek:oooh::0a33:

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    What a report brother. They must put up a pretty big fight:wink: Reps for an awesome report.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Yea those Rays will give you a run for your money :eek:oooh: - But for the life of me, I can't think of a park that has a small marina & a fishing pier in Oakland?
    :0a33:
    The only place that I can think of like that, is under the Golden Gate Bridge (fishing pier) - but I know that I'm wrong on this one - there is a fishing pier across from a Coast Guard island - I think the place is called "Fort Baker" - but like I said, I know that I'm totally wrong on this one.

:0a23:

4. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Bert Its also close to a big tackle shop. Embarcadero Bait???
    It may be Ft Baker. Its a small pier at the entrance to the park.
    The park has a playground with a pirate ship.
    My buddie lives on like 25th and Highland in E Oakland, "murder Dubs" neighborhood???? It was like 5 minutes from his house.

Port View Park/Seventh St Pier mabey???

They call the rays Mud Marlin , and now I know why...:smile2:

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Tom is right"! - :0a31: Tom
    Seeing that map that he posted - made me know exactly when that is - I never fish the area before, but friends have told me that they get some nice fish out of there, explicitly when the Perch are running.
    :wink::0a23:

6. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Sounds like a fun trip. Got to catch some rays and hang out in the murder dubs. I've been out to the "Twomps" a few times. Gotta be cool out there boy. Congrats on those rays bro. That sounds like a fun trip. I have a lot of family out in the bay, maybe we can do that sometime and pick up Bert on the way.

7. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Thats it!! We fish the small semi circle pier, right off that path!!!

Lets do it Sean next time I go ill see if you wanna go too.

We can pick a pier and do the damn thing, as Bert would say....:big_smile: