Oakland mills

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by justwannano, Jun 15, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    There have been several here who have talked about fishing Oakland mills so I have taken some pictures of the area.
    I don't think it is going to be a record breaking flood there. Looks to me it was about 3 or 4 feet from the 93 level. I took pictures friday about 7 pm and again saturday about 6ish pm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope these turn out
    just

2. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    7 minutes to edit is too fast for us slow typers

pix 1 shelter house above dam

pix 2 Bow fishing in front of store

pix 3 The dam

pix 4 Zoom guy fishing on dam

pix 5 Campground

pix 6 Faulkners access below Oakland from road

pix 7 Faulkners parking lot

pix 8 Oakland store saturday

pix 9 The dam Saturday

pix 10 Gazebo restroom and B ball court S of dam saturday

pix 11 No Camping today Saturday

pix 12 This LP tank was floating in 93 Saturday

pix 13 The road in front of Faulkners Access Saturday

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the pictures Bob. I have fished off that walkway several times. I don't think I'd be out there with water that high!

Thanks again!
    Phil

4. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am up in Washington and two Washingtonians were down at Oakland Mills before it started flooding and snagged a 30+ pound big head carp and took it to the DNR. I guess I knew the asian carp would eventually get over here but it just makes me sick to my stomach. Thanks again for the pictures.

5. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    If i remember right, Oakland Mills is part of the Skunk River. The skunk is part of pool 19. There isnt asian carp in Pool 19. The asian carp can't get around the Dam in Keokuk so get into pool 19.You sure your friend hooked into an asian? They sure are thick in the Des Moines river and pool 18 though.

6. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I wasn't there when it happened but numerous people have told me about it. Supposedly they gave it to the DNR for various reasons. It is pretty hard not to recognize a big head carp also due to their hideous features. haha. And I'm not an expert on the Mississippi and its pools but from what I know there is nothing from preventing them from moving up the river and into new ones. The only protection on the Mississippi is the electronic fish barrier near the Great Lakes that prevents their access to those bodies of water. I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more than me about the Mississippi, I don't spend much time there.

7. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Stopped down at Oakland mills this evening.
    I really thought the river would be back in its banks after seeing how much it dropped sunday but it isn't. It is down about 6 feet from the high water pictures I took.
    The road along the river is still closed due to water over it. Some damage to the parking lot at the store but the road seems OK.
    It 'll be a while til things settle down.
    have a good one
    just

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob the Sippi is on the drop -crested today now as long as we dont get rain we will be ok stay in touch.

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    The Skunk still isn't in its banks but the road along the river at oakland is passable. There has been about a 3 foot drop since my last post.
    There was some road damage. They will have to rip rap one spot on the river side. Since tomorrow is saturday and it is badly in need of gravel I don't think they will open it this weekend.
    There were a couple of guys fishing-I think they are wasting their time.
    You could probably drive to the dam on the S side but they stored a bunch of picnic tables on the road. Some camping spaces are visible too.
    Ought to be interesting to see how much the river has changed.
    Clouds are building to our north. and its raining in the Quad cities. Wonder where all the moisture is coming from. lol.
    Keep your feet dry
    just

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob we are gettin pounded tonight here this aint good fer the mome team:angry:

11. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Rain Rain Rain go away

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was up at Augusta last night, and it looked as if the Skunk is back in it's banks. That was of course before the rain we got last night so it might be back out again. Does anyone know? Also is ther a good boat ramp in Augusta? I've heard that the fishing is good on the Skunk. Later Andy

13. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've never put in at Augusta but there is a boat ramp there.
    The DNR took the boating ban off the Skunk so its OK to run it.
    I haven't been to the river for a couple of days but it was close to back in its banks over the weekend.
    I'd guess the 3/4" of rain did not raise the river much. Its been dry for a while.
    It may be pretty good fishing since the cats will probably try to get out of the miss.
    good luck
    just

14. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Heck kenny it ain't rained for awhile. Its gotta wash the mud off sometime.lol
    have a good one
    just

15. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey Andy

Did you stop in at Fat Annies?
    She has tenderloins as big as a dinner plate.

16. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not this time Bob, I usually go there for the chicken. Last nite we was at the wifes Aunt/Uncle just up the hill from Fat Annies and had steak, Uncle Frank does a wonderful Job on cooking just about anything, but the steaks are simply marvelous LOL. Later Andy

17. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Theres alot of good fishing in the Skunk. Usually in late July\August the Skunk is low and its SHALLOW. I usually go up it from the Mississippi and a few hundred yards before i get to the train bridge and highway 61 bridge its only about 2 feet deep and thats in the deep part.Just upriver of the 61 bridge ive seen it at times where the deepest part was only 6-12 inches. If you go down that way when the water is shallow be careful and take your time. Don't want you to hit a shallow flat and get stuck!

Theres a few holes downriver of the bridges where the water is 15-18 feet deep. Ive only fished in that area 2 or 3 times and it was with cut bait but im going to try live bluegill and bullhead as soon as it goes down and see what i can hook into.

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have been fishing and netting the Des Moines river for years and have never seen or got an asian carp

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They are in the lower end fer sure-by the millions-Bob hows that river lookin I am boat withdrawing and looking for adventure:roll_eyes:

20. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Dunno kenny
    I haven't been to Oakland since last weekend.
    I was by Lowell and Augusta earlier this week.
    You can put in at Lowell but the access at Augusta wasn't open yet. Plenty of water.lol
    I see the water level at Augusta has risen due to the rains we got this week. Its still in the banks though.
    You'd probably be able to launch at Faulkners access -where you launched a couple of weeks ago.
    cya
    just