Oakland Mills, Iowa

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by justwannano, May 26, 2009.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I fished a little bit saturday night.
    I went to Boilston bridge, I figured Oakland would be shoulder to shoulder people, and only caught a fiddler but My daughter and friend went to Oakland. I didn't even know she was there. She has a picture of a pretty good sized drum she caught and says she had a bigun hooked but lost it.
    I'm thinking that when the fish cleaning area above the dam gets going good the fish will show up in numbers. That chum does wonders.
    Have a good 1
    just

2. hillbillyken

hillbillyken New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob, when are you going to show me some fishin hole over there where u are...thanx HB Ken

3. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Sure.

Fish off the dam. LOL
    Lots of fish there.
    Have a good 1
    just

4. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Just got back from checking out Oakland Mills for Catfish Kenny. Four good ol boys were fishing from the top of the dam. They had 2 stringers of cats. 1 had three 2# channels on it. I didn't see the other stringer til I was leaving so I don't know what was on there.
    3 of the 4 guys were using worms for bait.They said the cats just started biteing.
    The guy I asked how long they had been there said about 1/2 hour.They were all chatting with each other so I would guess they all showed up at the same time

I stayed about 1/2 hour and they were the only fishermen there when I got there. 3 more guys showed up while I was there.

The water is high enough that it would be difficult to walk along the rocks on the south side of the river. For you guys that know the area its up to the first step on the north side.

I thought I saw a turtle while I was there so fishing may not be good for long.

Carp fishing should be good too just a little difficult to get to the best spots.

The fish cleaning station at the waters edge near the campground is not open yet.

There are only a couple of campers in the S campground.

Should be no trouble putting a boat in down river at Faulkners Access. Thats about 2 miles below Oakland. I still don't know why they put the boat ramp in below the dam because it is un-usable 95% of the time.

Good luck
    Have a good 1
    just

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the report Bob! My wife and I will be there tomorrow. Hope we catch something.

6. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Well not exactly Oakland. But about 6 miles down river.
    Got a call from a buddy, "Hey Bob. Wanna go fishin?"
    Mike has the week off and has been running bank poles with another guy.
    Caught 25 so far with the biggest about 20#. Some other guys are doing even better.
    Of course I said "I'll be there as soon as I can."
    First we checked the bank poles and he had a 8# flathead. I could hardly keep from grinning. This was gonna be fun. We were r&r ing and I brought some chicken innards from processing chickens a couple of weeks ago. Also 2 dip baits and some night crawlers.
    Mike had some sunfish some crawlers and dip bait.
    5 hours on the river and we were counting bites. Thats really sad. didn't catch a single fish.
    We must have tried 15 different places.
    Rivers coming up -just over a foot in 24 hours and still rising.
    Don't know why they just were not biteing today.

Yeah I know. Thats why its called fishing and not catching.

Best of luck 2ya
    just

7. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Bob, if you can make it over to the Iowa or the Cedar, cats are hitting on dip bait and worms. Some on livers. I have been hitting the Mississippi, in pool 17 and have done real good on dip bait. Sonnys and Primos Super Sticky Blood. Fishing the wing dams and some of the shoots on the Illinois side. Good luck.