Oak Twig

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by dominoman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Here's an oak twig a feller brought over to get sawed up, the one in the back of the truck was the first slab we took of just to get it thru the mill. It sure made some real nice 12-14" wide boards that were about 9' long.

Attached Files:

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    thats a big twig. lol ...only in Texas...geez would like to see a Texas oak branch.:smile2:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good size tooth pick there. I have 2 oaks on my property that are right at 5 foot thru. If I cut the logs out I would venture they would be 18 feet long. It ain't no telling how long it took to grow those trees.
    I had some white oak and red oak cut and some black walnut but My smallest grand daughter ask me not to cut those two and she was 3 at the time and they are still there and she is 8 now.

Thanks for shareing those pictures with us.

4. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    There's a lot of hope chests, cabinets,etc. in that pile. Nice lumber.....
    Wood working is another thing I like to do, and oak is my favorite wood.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Now that is a plank right there, I wish I had a few of them. Is that your sawmill?

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Lonnie If you need a place to store those boards, I'll take real good care of them for you!!!!!!!!! :wink:

7. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Yes Sir Fish, that's the homemade mill, runs on a 24hp Honda, v-twin. Here's some other shots of it in action with another oak log my brother brought over. I only got him out there one time, he found out real quick that sawmilling is WORK.

Attached Files:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a bunch of red cedar and walnut sawn on a mill like that last year. Does very nice work, no thick n thin stuff.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Id like to get started in woodworking but dont know where to start and what tools I'd need.

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Lonnie, I love your sawmill. I have always dreamed of owning one of them. That is some kind of nice looking for a homemade mill or not, I know you do love it.

Scott, if you would like some information about wood working and getting started just send me a PM and we will get you started.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's a nice mill u got there sir!!!

12. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very nice job on the mill Lonnie. How big and small can you cut on it?

13. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Very nice mill, always wanted one myself. A while back I realized that I needed more lumber than I could mill and dry for myself. There are alot of hardwood dealers in my area so it is much easyier (for me) to just buy it pre milled, dryed and S3S usually 13/16.

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for sharing, Lonnie. I"ll bet that running that mill is really hard work :crazy:

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    would make some dandy texas toothpicks :smile2:

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Lonnie, thanks for showing us the photos! In one of the photos...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35036&d=1201093039

it looks like you are pushing the saw blade assemble. Is this correct, or is the assemble powered to move forward?

If you have to push the blade...then I can sure understand why it would be WORK!:crazy:

Thanks,