Oak Hollow Lake report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ncfowler, Jul 8, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Saturday morning at Oak Hollow Lake here in Highpoint produced some good cats. I took a friend out in the morning the lake had a good breeze so the drift was good. We got several channels in the 5lbs + range and a few dinks. We tried a different area of the lake, which I was not use too, to my surprise it produce rather well. We boated seven cats, which we weighed and released totaling over 50 lbs. Over all we boated some 20 cats ranging form 2 lbs up, from 7 am till 1pm. All released.

For a smaller city own lake it is holding some good size cats. This little lake does require you to do some fishing to find the larger cats. Drifting is best for larger cats, if you want some good pan size cat’s anchor up and put on some shad or chicken livers for a day of non-stop action,

Oak Hollow has a bubbling system that is filled with all the bait shad you will ever need. Fishing the bubble line will produce all day action.

There are high breeds stripers are in this lake as well, using a slip bobber at 5 ft with live shad or chicken livers has gave me some good hookups on high breeds.

Keeping your drift slow is the key to fishing this lake, I suggest using a drift sock, as well as drift weight in a Carolina rig with a 3 to 4 ft leader

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    We fished Oak Hollow this afternoon and the shad are thick as flies in the center bubble lines. It is hard to throw a net without dozens of fat shad coming up.

Finding the cats is a different thing.

We fished from 1:45 to 7:45 and only boated two fish. One blue cat 5lb. and one channel 3 lb. We were drifting all day. We tried bottom rigs, slip floats, even free lining live shad in the bubbles. We also fished from the upper creek beds in 4 to 5 feet of water all the way to the area in front on the dam with very few bites. In fact the two fish we caught were boated around 6:00 PM just about time to leave for the day.

Of course we could not cover 100% of the lake in 6 hours but we fished a good sample of it. Any tips on locations in Oak Hollow would be appreciated.

thanks

3. BuzzingCatfish

BuzzingCatfish New Member

State:
    NC
    good report. Thanks for the info.

4. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    fowler i just got this thing up and running and ow i can not figure it out please help

5. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    hey i was just wondering if you were going out thursday um if you do please call me or ill just keep in touch with you

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    If there are hybrids in there try freelining a live shad (hook them just under the skin behind the dorsal fin) about 30 or 40 feet behind the boat while you are drifting for cats. You will have a good chance a getting a decent hybrid and sometimes even bass will hit it.

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    We were catching small hybrids in the bubble field by jigging a [SIZE=-1]Sabaki rig like we use at the coast to catch herring. We figured the bigger shad might be interested. Instead we started catching baby hybrids two and three at a time. I tried jigging a bigger bait that looked the same but the bigger hybrids were not interested.[/SIZE]

8. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    hey nate i'm stuck in tenn on vacation be back sunday i'll call you sometime sunday

9. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    all right man thats kewl i think i can go out now any ways i got the day off well enjoy vacation it only comes once in a life time less your retired:wink: well ttyl
    good fishing