Oak Hollow Lake 4/25/09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ncfowler, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    well what a nice day on the lake the one could not ask for a better day, I have not been on the lake for a few weeks and wanted see how the cats were hitting and shad were, Today the cats were hitting well, i got a nice 4lb within a few minutes after setting my rods and the bite was like that all day. I had a rod go down with something big but on a whole shad but it must have not got a hold of the hook, it did this several times, when i checked the bait the tip was impelled in the side of the shad. Looking for bait just toss you net in the shallows and or even off the docks near the ramp, over all i had a good catch all day the largest was in 5.8lbs most were in the 3-4 lb range, by the way did you ever get a small cat in your cast net one around 4"? they make a mess of the net and the barbs are sharp as heck, i got a nice slice on the top of my thumb while releasing this little sucker.

2. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Jeff
    I have picked up small channels in my cast net a number of times. I cut the barbs off to get them out of the net. I use the small ones as bait for flatheads. I will admit in about 4 trys using them as bait I have only caught one fish. I figured in lakes where there are bullheads they are a primary food for flats so I reasoned small channels would work as a good bait. I am not sure of this idea. I am curious if anyone has had success using small channels as bait for Flats?

3. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Goob job Jeff - sounds like they were waiting for you!

4. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Sounds like a good day on the water. Glad to see the bite and the bait are acting up. Thanks for the info and hope to see you out there soon!!!

5. bperry49

bperry49 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Were the fis in the main body of the lake or were the in the coves

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    right now in the coves you will be getting some whites, the channels are in the main body around 20' but should be migrating to the warmer shallower waters in the next few weeks

7. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    hey jeff give me a call sometime if ya would thanks