Oak Hollow 6/15/08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ncfowler, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

Well today I got out for a while, The shad were thick in the bubbles. So getting bait was easy, I started out in the shallows because i had luck there earlier last week. All I was getting was big turtles. I moved into deeper water and found some good schools of Channels I boated some 15 in the 3LBS +range, the real large cats are still eluding me. I was using cut shad on a slow drift. The cats are showing up in the deeper water. Too anyone who's doing the tournament this weekend bring your sunblock and lots of water I think you will have some good luck hooking up on the cats. Hint, i was using a 4/0 circle hook on a 1"cut peace of shad. I did get a hook up on whole shad threaded. good luck
  2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

Good news..............I am back on the water and doing some fishing. My son has been bowfishing some and we arrowed a 14 lb carp the other day. On Lake Brandt the shad are so thick in the sallows you can catch 7 or 8 per net throw many of them brim size fish! We saw them jumping in our wake and went back, threw the net at random and started catching them.
    I think the channels are currently feeding on small hatchlings and invertebrates. I had the same experience. Whole or half shad was getting zero bites. I started cutting small fillets and the bites picked up. A piece the size of a 50 cent piece with part of the gut pocket was getting hit pretty regularly.

I haven't had a bite from a blue in a while and the biiger channels are....well.........they have to be somewhere but I haven't found them yet.

I guess we will keep trying.

See ya on the water