Oak Hollow 2/08/09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ncfowler, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    what a nice day on the lake. a little breezy but, we did manage to get some nice cats in the boat. Bait was a chore I turned on my fish alarm and was able to target a school of shad my first cast got me three shad my second cast was hoping to get three more but i must have hit the school and pulled up over 40 shad. got my bait for the rest of the winter, surprise. we were getting most of the larger cats on whole shad we boated 6 in the 5-9lb range and lost as many, most hooks up were solid but some were a faint hook up. we drifted fish for all of our cats and water temp was around 43 f, just a note: we lost one that broke water and looked to run around 15+ range. not bad day out for winter/spring catting. With the warm weather this week the water temp may be going up a little and the bite may be much better by the weekend. Hoping to see some of my Oak Hollow buddies out there.

2. jstutz

jstutz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a great day. i spent all day on belews, from 4 pm untill 1 am, with a buddy and we landed only 4 cats that totaled about 7 lbs. So needless to say they werent monsters. Near the HH we could see bass hitting the top of the water and schools of nice bass all around the sure so we tried to fish for them some to and did not do very well. Oh well it was a beautiful day to be on the water.

3. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Jeff sounds like you guys had a great day on the water. Might bring my boat back up there b4 it gets to hot.....maybe you can show me a few more tricks of the trade? :wink:

4. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    How deep were you fishing. I used to have pretty good luck with the hybrids out there, but have just recently started chasing the cats around out there. Glad to see someone pulling some nice ones out of there, God knows there should be some monsters in there with as much bait they have in that lake...

5. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    were in the 20' range, on a slow drift. the cats are not grouped together and pretty well scatter, several were mud stained. last week we were having better luck and getting into schools, if the weather holds out and the water gets a little warmer the bite should become more aggressive, Still not had got any of the larger cats i get this time of the year but it's still early.

6. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Thanks for the info, don't be shy if you see a white 20' angler w a 150 suk on the back. :wink:

7. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I'll be the one in the lowe 1860 center consol boat name is ez-drifting, swing on by and drift my line with me, lol bring the coffee.