Oahe below the dam.

Discussion in 'SOUTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by quigley257, Oct 26, 2015.

1. quigley257

quigley257 Member

State:
    MO
    I'm heading up to meet my brother for a surf and turf long weekend starting October 30th. We'll be doing some bird and varmint hunting as well as some fishing. We are camping downstream from the Oahe dam. Any tips for cats here this time of year? What's a good bait? We will be shore fishing and neither of us has a cast net. Any tips would be appreciated. We aren't only looking for cats. Anything that'll bite and make a good dinner. Thanks guys!! -Quigley

2. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    My old stomping grounds . Right below the powerhouse you can use suspending cranks at night to catch walleye , trout , salmon . Cast upstream and start cranking it in. There is a rock point that goes part way out in the river on the south side of the first set of campgrounds , fish the down current side where the current breaks , you can use jigs ,cranks or fish on the bottom with live bait .
    I hope this helps .

Bob

3. quigley257

quigley257 Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks Bob. I'm originally from Minnesota and have done a lot of salmon and trout shorefishing on Lake Superior. I definitely have the equipment to do it. I'd also be happy to get into Walleyes. Looking forward to wetting some lines with my brother. It's been over five years since we have been able to fish together.

4. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I hope you have good luck , let us know how you do . If you have any more questions just yell LOL

5. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Depends on water temps. Cats will be slow go from here on out and they are prolly near deeper water. Maybe shallow during daytime, but metabolism has slowed tremendously with cooler water temps and they don't need to feed as often. I would cast for walleye and have a dead stick with any type of fresh cut bait set out for channel cats.

6. quigley257

quigley257 Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks VanKley. What kind of bait can you use there and what size fish am I likely to find? Do I need my heavy, 10' southern Missouri setups or will medium weight gear be okay? I've read about smelt being used and imagine it can be had at bait stores. We can use almost anything for bait here in Missouri.

7. VanKley

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    I would use cut sicker or shad if you can find that. Medium gear is fine as fish will avg 3-5 lbs with anything over 10 unlikely.

8. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Perch-83 likes this.
  9. VanKley

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Yup, I knew that! It due to the release of colder, deeper reservoir water. A biologist from Lincoln believes that the cold water releases are part of the reasons the Flatheads in the unchannelized stretches, are among the slowest growing curves seen.

10. quigley257

quigley257 Member

State:
    MO
    The cast and blast trip was a great success!!! Birds were plentiful and limits came quickly. Walleyes were slamming in the tailrace after dark on Rapalas. We also caught a mixed bag of Crappie, Trout, Bluegill, Bass and Catfish during daylight hours. I could eat fresh caught fish every day. A great trip to South Dakota and a beautiful campground to stay in. Looking forward to next year!!

11. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I'm glad you had a great trip , I know I sure miss living there .

12. VanKley

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Thanks for the report! We dont hear much from many on here, let alone do we get reports from further west.