O - What a Difference in Culture Makes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Tulcat, May 31, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

This story is true, but is hard to understand from an American cultural point of view. But this is first hand information and not some story I got in an email.

Well a family friend has an established medical practice here in Tulsa, and is ready to retire. He was approached from a collegue who had a friend in California who was interested in moving back to Oklahoma after recently divorcing, so she flew down for the 10 cent tour and to talk business.

Anyway, her story is an amazing example of cultural differences. She is Indian (as is SE Asia) and I'll refer to her as Mrs X.

Mrs X just recently divorced her husband of 23 years. She has diligently worked her medical practice during their marriage, while he too would leave everyday for his work as a Dr. in Cartiology, after she worked and paid his way through Med School. He took care of all the finances and had assured her they were worth $15 million, as afterall both were doctors with thriving practices.

Well after 23 years of marriage, bankruptcy entered the picture and blew the husbands story all to heck. Well it turns out he had never attended med school, nor had he had a job over the last 23 years. From the way it was explained she was not allowed to ever even question him about finanaces over the years, nor did she ever suspect over the last 23 years that he was not, as claimed, a Cardiologist.

All I could say is WOW, I wonder when he was "leaving to work" all those days if he ever fitted in any catfishing?

Now that she is single, get in line behind me for a crack at that romance :crazy:

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    Asian culture is a very male dominated one..iwas stationed in korea for 2 years and saw first hand that the male was the figurehead whereas the women were to keep a more submissive role...

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    10 steps behind a man, that is how it should be.

(Please no one tell my wife I said this, LMAO)

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    While one cannot discount the significance of culture, it is also important to recognize that in all cultures there exists a greater sense of ethics & morality. What he did was wrong, and from his own cultural perspective (known world-wide as Karma) he will eventually get what is coming to him.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Matt,

I have a feeling that the lovely lady in the picture with you, is used to you walking 10 steps behind HER. Carrying all of the things she has purchased as well as you staring at her "Ba donka donk" wishin that she'd let you back in them britches more than once a year.

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    that's another reason to lose weight....smaller target:byebye:

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Matt, just a stupid question, I know you are losein weight(wish I could) but, can you fit in her britches?? :lol: just commentin that you are not a little boy, if you'r not full growed, we better watchout!!:wink: