O H Ivie?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatfishBevo, Apr 10, 2008.

1. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do any of you fish for catfish there?

I have never been there & am going tommorow.

Where is best to go?

Thanks

CatfishBevo

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC im sure someone on here can help you

3. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    What species of cats are you going after and what methods are you planning to use? I will be there myself. Will be out on the water by 5:30 if all goes to plan.

4. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mainly blues, using jugs & r & r.

Thanks for the response.

I am leaving at 4 ; 30 from Rocksprings, will be there by about 7 am.

CatfishBevo

5. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey iviecatman!

How did you do?

I caught 1 blue on a jug & 1 channel on r&r on a shad.

What I like to do best, is catch shad & then find the fish & catch em with a r&r.

I have a different boat & am not used to the Eagle fish finder.

Can't read it like I could my old Garmin.

And I didn't find even one mud bank there?

I moved to Rocksprings a couple of years ago from the Dallas area where I leraned to kill em.

Everything seems different in this area.

So I need some help!

Any will be appreciated!

Thanks

CatfishBevo

6. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    Got to the lake late on Friday evening. Cleaned 1 yellow around 12 lbs., a blue around 7 and 3 channels up to 8 lbs. Today was much better. We caught 2 yellows at 23 and 11 lbs., 12 channels and blues all small (nothing over 8 lbs.). We had a huge blue, likely over 40 on a drop line in very shallow water that popped off the hook as I reached for the net. As the fish move shallow it is very difficult to target them because of the salt cedar. I have caught lots of good fish along the edges. The next two months should be great for the yellows.

The only mud banks I really know of are up the rivers and creeks.

When I first started fishing Ivie I could set 20 jugs and have an average of 16 blues per day. ( Very few fish would be under 8 lbs.) It just will not do that now. I have went almost entirely trotline and dropline now. You can use live bait which will fish for days. They seem to bite well every few days. It's not like Tawakoni or Choke Canyon. The best fishing is when the Concho River is running and you can go to Paint Rock and catch the big bull shad in your cast net. I fillet the sides off and pull the gizzards. You will catch 4 - 1 with the big shad over cut perch.

I fish out of Elm Creek Village. My brother in law bought the first trailer on the right as you enter the trailer park. I fish out of a 16.5 ft green aluminum center console with a 40 hp Yamaha. As you learn the lake you will catch lots of big fish, they are there. I hope to see you some time, good luck.