Nylons - does it hurt catfish if they swallow it?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by playinghooky, Sep 8, 2005.

1. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    this is a 2 parter does the nylons stocking hurt the fish if swallowed.me and my dad we talking about grinding chickenlivers and shad freezing them in a ice tray when frozen wrap in nylon stockings to keep together

2. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i always seem to get the nylon back just make sure u hook the stocking real good

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I've never tried that before, but what I usually do is sun cure my livers and then wrap them with thread to make sure I don't get robbed. Good Luck Guys!

4. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have tried nylon before, but I prefer to use just plain old thread. i do no tcure my liver at all, just buy it form the store wrap about an 18" piece of thread around and cast. It has always worked out well, small cats have a difficult stealing it and I have never had any fall of during the cast.

-Brian

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The nylon shouldn't hurt the fish but most of the time you will get it back.If you plan on using "Nylons" as in the kind your female compadre wears then buy new ones as they won't have any associated scent to then.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use cheesecloth instead of nylon - the cheesecloth deteriorates quicker if it somehow is left in the water, I think. As far as the catfish, if they can get rid of a belly full of mussel shells, surely they can get rid of a wad of nylon.

7. CDM243

CDM243 New Member

HELLO BOARD ..NEW HERE ..i use nylons anytime i use chicken livers,or a "chum-cicle"..frozen chunk of chum /time release...anyways..i do want to warn you.....DO NOT take your wifes.........bad bad...go to walmart and in with the womens shoes they have..free ones for ladies trying on shoes...just the right size and all...

8. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I have never used nylons as I have heard that it was illegal in the great state of Ohio. However i have bought a 50 pack of mesh squares used for making salmon egg sacks and they worked very well. I never had to do any cutting as they were perfect size for catching eating size channels.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Try putting dip bait in the panty hose works well! :D

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Matt, tell me more about those mesh squares, and where to get them. I've never seen those...we don't have much use for salmon eggs in my area.

Verlon, that's a good suggestion about the dip bait in nylons. I'd never thought of that.

11. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Matt, the mesh squares you refer to are you making them yourself or are you buying them precut? If so where? They sound like they would work very well. Schoe

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Let me modify TOPs advice; Dont put the bait in the pantyhose if the original owner still has them on!!!!!!!!!!

13. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I ain't never put nylons around chicken liver but I have poured soured milo down a leg of panty hose and tied it to my trot-lines.

Don't know if I would have caught as good without them but I sure did catch good with them.

14. juniormathis

juniormathis New Member

State:
    verona,ms
    i keep a pair of nylons in my tackle box all of the time i just cut to size when i need them and they dont take up a lot of room you just get funny looks when other people is around

15. hookem

hookem New Member

State:
    missouri
    how big of square do you cut out of panty hose?

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    back to the original post. If you freeze the ground up parts, are you using it for chum or as bait? Sounds like a neet idea for bait also! Would you freeze the hook shank in it? HUMMM.....intreguing idea!

17. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    Thanks for the tip I will gathering up my wives' hose

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Tried Using Nylons And Haven't Had Any Luck With Them, The Fish Always Spit Them Out. If You Need Help Keeping The Bait On The Hook Try Small Rubber Bands, They're Cheap And They Work Good.

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've Tried The Nylons Several Times, They Stay On I'll Tell You That, but I Get More Hits On The Hooks W/O Them. My Thoery Is That They Do Not Release As Much Scent ?

I Would Like To Try The Mesh Squares Also, But I Don't Know Where To Obtain Them At.

Thanks In Advance, Elliot