NY Vermont Fishermen

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by Captain Cat, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Any NY or Vermont cat fishermen out there? If so where do you fish?

2. Joe_T

Joe_T New Member

State:
    NY
    Same question here. I'm close to the Rondout creek near Kingston. Never caught any big cat fish. There are catfish there though.

3. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    New to the boards, From Albany area, We do pretty good up here for channels. (hudson) White cats all over the river. I was wondering about some of the creeks down south, (ie. Wallkill, Rondout, Esopus) any info? J

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The same question I would like to pose also. I am a newbie from downstate area of NY.

5. devlyn76

devlyn76 New Member

State:
    Vermont
    This is an old thread, but here goes:

I live in southern Vermont, and have just started fishing Lake Champlain for cats. Closer by we have bullhead, but the closest waters with real cats are the Hudson and Champlain. And I don't want to fish the Hudson 'cuz if I cath a good eater, I want to eat it :big_smile:

-ben

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Has anyone been fishing the champlain canal in the Fort Ann area lately? If so any luck catching cats? Fished it two weeks ago and caught four, the biggest was 7lbs. and the smallest was 4. They were caught from the bank, on cut herring. Last week, same spot, 0. I am going to try south bay next week, but i dont have a boat so il; have to do some exploring. If anyone has any info i would appreaciate it, Thanks!!!!!!:confused2:

8. devlyn76

devlyn76 New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Past two weeks I tried Singing Cedars and Benson Landing. Last week, another guy caught one 10 lber on beef liver, that's it. This week, nuthin' for no one. Not even bullhead. And I was in each spot for several hours each time.

Someone said that the cats went away after the derby. They were getting 'em like mad before it, then the derby rolled through and now no one is catching any.

On a positive note, the bluegill and white perch were biting like crazy last night until around midnight. I figured they'd taper off after sundown, but they just kept right on going. Seemed to get bigger as the night went on...

-ben

9. Catatonic Chronic

Catatonic Chronic New Member

State:
    Johnson City, New York
    I've fished all over Broome County, and some of Tioga. I fish the Suquehanna, and probably have fished just about anywhere in Broome. My favorite spots have to be Long Pond in Whitney Point and Aqua Terra Pond in south of Binghamton.

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey captain cat, would like to hear from you. I fish the champlain canal on a regular basis. Iwould like to hear from you. Im interested in fishing south bay but i dont have a boat and dont really know where to go. Any info would be appreciated. Fishing has been good in the canal. the channel cat have been avererging 5lbs. the biggest being 8 lbs. Have a good day. Steve

11. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Sorry Have not been on for awhile, I fish from Southbay in my boat. There are places to fish from shore at the launch or the old bridge. I have not fished from shore in a long time but people do get cats from shore.

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the info, i am going to give it a try. splitshot

13. devlyn76

devlyn76 New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Lucky buggers. South Bay and the canal are both in NY, I'm in VT. I'm trying my luck at Singing Cedars again in a week or so. Unless I hear that further north is good, but from what I gather the cats 'aint up there.

-ben

14. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Southbay is good but we mosly fish the channel from the railroad tressel up all the way to Port Henry when you go up the channel one side is NY the other is VT. so you can have good fishing from either shore if you can find a way to it.

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    whats up there fellow yankees If anyones from around greenwood lake they got some channels up ther or down there check with the DNR in new york they should have a stocking list for all lakes with channels same with rivers and creeks feel free to stop in at the Jersey forum to or head over to general catfish hell check the whole site out lots of good people just chewin fat