NY catfishermen

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by cathouse, Jan 24, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello all i am more or less looking for catters around upstate NY area rochester , syracues , buffalo or most places within a 2 hour drive or so to possibly hook up with when cattin season starts around here . PM me post on the local New York section or somethig , with all our members someone has to be in my part of the state . Or maybe i should just relocate LOL , or am i really joking awaiting a respomse .

Yours truly
    Lonely catter LOL

2. azuredge

azuredge New Member

State:
    NY
    Is there anyone from the Albany area? I am 45 minutes west of it. I see posts from people out in the western part. I am new to catfish, but I have gone for big fish in the past, such as salmon and stripers. I would really love to hook into a nice big, fat catfish. lol
    -Paul-

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well, I'm not exactly In NY and live in Northwestern PA. I am considering getting a NY license and targeting cats in the Upper Alleghany River.

The alleghany River which is very good flathead and channel catfishing near the three rivers of pittsburgh; starts in PA and heads North. It was turned many thousands of years by the glaciers around to head south to form the Ohio river (which actually was built from an ancient river that flowed from WVA to the plains.

The town of Olean, NY is near the furthest northern point. at some point, the alleghany flows into the seneca reservation of southwestern NY. That requires a separate License. I figure the flats are completely upsent above the dam and aren't present in NY waters-- but the cats should be their. local rumors put the cats of the kinzua dam up to 15# on occasion- and conditions are as good upstream.

anyway by my measure, at least two major feeders (including parts of the outflow of chautaqua lake) and the alleghany river holds cats. I could get up that way with relative ease....

and I really LIKE fishing with BOC brothers.

Whether I meet a NY BOC brother, I've been thinking that NY needs some bragging to convice local anglers that this is the PLACE for those in NY that catfish. I intend to fish with intensity in the late spring, early summer...

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    T-O-U-G-H

your fish commish says nothing and internet reports from all the likely forums (including this one:crazy:)

say very little.

apparently the chemung has cats towards its lower end; thing is I think its no closer for you and Alot further for me.

we're 3:45min apart; its not likely I can go that far to fish (and prolly vice versa). anyway interested in your ideas. reply when you can...

5. azuredge

azuredge New Member

State:
    NY
    Yikes, 3:45 is quite a road trip. lol I think I would throw myself under my moving vehicle if I drove that far. I don't do well on long road trips. Besides that, I can't afford such a fishing trip right now. I have too much cash going out on my falconry supplies to get ready for ENCON inspection. There are some fishing books at the Wal-Mart near here that I am eyeing up. I may get em eventually. lol
    -Paul-

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Actually paul, I was determining the distance between chris and I. for you the DISTANCE is even Worse!!!:crazy: thats unfortunate cuz' perhaps I could split the difference with him, but if we split the distance... still you're right it's over 3 hours for each of us. The best hope for catching cats with you lies with me, coming to wilkes-barre (my sister in law) and begging for the chance to fish overnight.

it wouldn't be easy. but it isn't EXACTLY impossible. its just problematic, cuz I am pretty much a novice here on PA waters, that i've gotten to know. If your Struggling to find cats; we might just SKUNK out together:tounge_out:

well, maybe. I can be moral support??:wink:

at any rate; its awesome to see some action on the NY board; lets keep it going and perhaps this can be the happning place by catfish season!

at any rate, you can't honestly make any sincere plan like that, months and months ahead. Mostly I can tell you from one newby to another...

in my area of PA NoOne fishes for catfish and almost noone talks about it online. There's some GOOD fishes in unlikely places. you need something bloody, smelly and a desire to put the time and figure out the WHEN and the WHERE! Rivers are likely haunts! If you fish with cut-bait; you might catch Strippers (which I believe are pretty common in your area?), a good ruse to ensure that even if catfish Don't. you won't be skunked!

also take the tackle shops. over and out

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    oh and hey, welcome to the BOC.

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Paul, hopefully,you've seen this post

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46682

I ran into a name elsewhere on the net, the wiskill (spelling?)... so They're definitely in the albany area. that makes you about equal to me, 2years ago. I knew there was cats (and some big) , very unpressured - but I wasn't sure where they were and how to catch them.

This year, I spent trip after trip guessing! good luck. I'm sure given time, you'll be an old hand at this... remember , anyfish you find yourself weighs TWICE as much!:smile2:

9. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey i will make a way to get some good fishing in traveling to PA is not out of the question at all , just planning in advance atleast a couple of weeks for a weekender as for newbies like us just something else to laugh about or celebrate on the site and yeah lets bring this NY PA thing to life i'll even post some on the PA local talk who knows maybe we can make this happen .

10. azuredge

azuredge New Member

State:
    NY
    Yeah, it would be pretty cool if we get others from NY & PA to start posting here. Hopefully we can learn of some good places to go fishing. I have gone out for them before many years ago with a friend of mine. I remember the bait needed to be vile and putrid in order to be appealing to catfish. It was unfortunate we were unsuccessful. That was the only time I had gone out for cats. I looked up the town you mentioned, did you mean Fishkill? I have heard of Fiskill, that is about 2 hours away.
    -Paul-

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I mean the Wallkill river; which meets the hudson at the nearby town of Kingston; should less than an hour south of albany

mentioned here
    http://www.anglerguide.com/newyork/index.cfm?TR_ID=542

Somewhere on the web I picked up the story that channel catfish were not originally present in the hudson river valley. They showed up first in a tributary, the wallkill river and have been spreading northwards ever since. In practicality the entire non brakish lower reaches of the hudson are likely suspects.

I don't know what if there are any natural barriors to channel catfish moving northwards. Does the hudson have navigational locks?? If so, you might want to concentrate down there in the kingston area (as one or more of these might be halting the spread of catfish into upstream reaches of the hudson).

Hope I'm helping. I don't know what what you've tried. There are some older hudson river reports in the NY rivers forum. Make sure you set the date of the bottom of the webpage to "Since the beginning" instead of "last month".

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, try to get to know some people at your local tackle shop. Even if the fishery is unappreciated; annoyed stripper anglers will mutter to these guys as they catch the trophy catfish :eek:oooh: (people are wierd!-me- I would celebrate)

moreover, the mighty flathead catfish have been making invasive inroads to some of the major river valleys south of you; the susquehanna, schukyll, and delaware. Inevitable what will happen is that as their population blooms- stripper fishermen will start dragging out these monsters shocked at the huge flattened head and 'ugly' appearance...

You catch one of those guys, paul, and you'll never fish for white catfish again!!! but wait until their a reasonable target; the tackle shops will clue you in on it.

best of luck

12. azuredge

azuredge New Member

State:
    NY
    Actually yes this has been a huge help. Like I said, I have only gone out for them once before and that was far to the north of me in a town called Port Ann. I will keep this in mind and I have to admit, I never thought to ask the local tackle and/or sporting goods stores. I feel a bit silly for not thinking of this before.:embarassed: I will no doubt end up at Crossgates Mall eventually. I will have to stop in at Dick's and see if any of the local fisherman have either boasted or complained about catfish. I seriously can't imagine complaining about catfish, but I suppose not everyone wants to see that big whiskery face come flying up out of the water at them. lol I know one woman (single mom) was taking her son fishing and he got a bullhead and it freaked em both out. :smile2: So I am sure there are people who don't appreciate the value of a good catfish. I will have to make more of a point to getting the maps of fishing loacations in NY. They are only like $20 each and I think between the three they cover all of the counties in NY or real close to it. When I do make it to Crossgates (sometime between now and when the cows come home) I will post on here what I have learned. As a good share of our rivers head in to PA. Maybe it will give ya extra places to try down there. :cool2:
    -Paul-