NW Suwannee River. Info

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by nosnag, Oct 21, 2005.

1. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm new here in Bell,Fl. and live within 1/2 mile of the Suwannee. Been prospecting for some good channel cat areas. Found a few but would like any info you guys could give me on any areas that seem to be productive. Have a 12' boat w/ 5 hp motor so I can get to all the launch areas.
    Appreciate any help.

2. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i'd like to help you out nosnag but i know nothing about that area, the only time i'm up around suwannee is when i cross over going to camp... just hang tite someone will eventually help you out....john.......p.s where is bell?????

3. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks anyway jfinch. Bell is NW of Cheifland and West of Trenton. Real boonies . Clusters of boat launch areas here. Four in a three mile shot from the house. Closest is 1/4 mile. I see a lot of setlines here when I go on the river.Not sure just what kinds of cats are around tho. I've only caught channels and blacks. Suspect there are flats too. Hav'nt gone at night yet. Waiting for delivery of a trailer for the boat.The depth around here ranges from 6' to 24' according to the Hummingbird.
    Bill Raynor(newbe)

4. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    now i know where chiefland is go to the walmart every time we go to camp in steinhatchee...john

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm not sure just how far from saltwater you are, but big black drum come up quite a ways into fresh water, and are definitely lots of fun to catch.

6. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yep, I'm about seven miles from Cheifland Wal-Mart. Get the geoceries and tackle supplies there. Have friends that have a boat in Steinhatchee. Supposed to go out fishing with them there in the near future. Love all salt water fishing and waiting for the time I can do some down here. Looking for a decent skiff to buy so I can hit the salt and try for the fish in the Gulf.
    I'm a transplant here since last Oct. from Connecticut. Only fish I'm familiar with in Florida are Stripers, weakfish. and mackeral. All the others are exotics for me. :)
    I've been a catfisherman for over 50 years now. They are my primary sweet water fish.Love to catch them and they are the only fresh water fish I eat. Of course from where I come from , I am only versed to channels and whites. Main reason for coming down here is I wanted to get a chance to fish the place that I have always heard was fishing paradise. Would'nt want to leave this world without accomplishing that goal. So far it has been a good learning experiance. Still have to top my 16# channel from Ct. , but I feel it in my bones that it will happen.
    wish you all tight lines and bowed rods. Bill

7. Stump Bumper

Stump Bumper Guest

NoSnag, welcome to the Sunshine State! I've never fished the Swannee but from what I hear they've got alot of nice Channel Cats and a growing population of Blue Cats swimming there. Living in Chiefland, you are only a 3 hour drive from Flathead Catfish heaven on the Apalachicola and Chipola Rivers. I sure hope you and jfinch can make the Florida BOC get-togather there next year....Ray

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    im gonna try ray

9. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hi Ray, Hope you are right about Blue Cats here in the river.I've never hung onto one yet.Looking forward to it. Plan to go to the next BOC get -together. I'd like to meet the guys and gals other than just talking on the net. Still learning to get around the area. Also trying to figure out the GPS :confused: I bought. Went to Ft. DeSoto last week , so I guess I went through that area. Some real nice looking small creeks along the way.

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Nosnag Ray is right,there are Blues in the Suwannee.

11. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    Here in the Dowling Park area, I've pulled a few 7 and 8 pound channels out of the Suwannee from time to time, but that's about it.

12. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Back a few years ago I camped a manatee springs state park out side chiefland .You can lanch a small boat there and drift to the end of the spring run or just walk down the boardwalk I liked to fish the down stream side of the run just over the dropoff. Shiners ,liver ,cut muddfish all caught me big blue cats and some wopper channel cats once on a bunch of worms I got a sturgon about 40 pounds.
    Grab your tent and set up in the park and fish all nite no prob.
    enjoy C.R.Mule