NW Ohio shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Mr_Catfish, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Does anyone know where I can catch alot of large shad in this part of the state.I can catch alot of shad from the Maumee river but they are only about 3inches long. I'm looking for large shad 10 inches or so. Thanks for any help.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Heck, I usually see lots of bigger shad on the Maumee and thats where I would look for them, remember that they grow in cycles so most shad now are only 3" long but what you need is to find some bigger ones, holdovers from last year, I suggest looking around any warmwater discharge pipes leading into the Maumee, these will congregate shad all winter long. Sorry I can be of more help then that.

Salmonid

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you wanna drive down to Grand lake St. Marys in the spring you can really load up on 10-15 inch shad when the off-lake channels warm up. i used to go up in the spring and fish for bullhead in the channels and the shad were so thick i'd always snag one reeling my line back in.

4. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    pm on the way Mr catfish

5. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I know St. Marys has some big shad. I throw a cast net in the spring along the rocks on the east side and have got shad well over 20" long, not to mention the carp and crappie.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    In lake Erie there is a few warm water discharges there and we bowfish shad in 18"-20" range. They are there by the thousands.