Nutrolls abound, catastrophe avoided, a few fish boated

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, Jun 27, 2009.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Yup, team nutroll got back on the water last night and w/ a few tips from folks feeling sorry for me, we got on some fish.

I will post pics and the story w/ a little more detail when I get a second. The table of contents would go something like:

1. The wait :confused2:
    2. First soak w/ a bang (30, 20, 10) :wink:
    3. Pearl, the monster, the rock, and the breakup :angry:
    4. A pleasant surprise (44,37,30,23,20) :smile2:
    5. Typical chitty spotlight w/ logs included :angry:
    6. A blue rope, a knife and a barge (cautionary tale) :crazy:
    7. Flapping transducers :confused2:
    8. Slow ride :confused2:
    9. Reflection

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like a good story brewing!

Bill in SC

3. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    cant wait to hear the story and see the pics

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Lets see, you caught several nice fish, broke or pulled the transducer off while striking a log. As for the breakup, we all know Pearl and Nessie have been in a bit of a tiff for some time now. It was inevitable. The blue rope messes with the mind. Sounds interesting. Please share:smile2::smile2:

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    And now, the rest of the story...........................................................................................

Greg, this is where you step in and take over, :wink:

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Uh, yeah, uh Greg. I mean you got our attention.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Be patient bob. You know Ol polce prob didn't get any sleep with his squawk box and changing sheety diapers lmao

8. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    He's really good about STARTING a thread:
    Finishing --well thats another story

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
  10. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
  11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thought you had some manure to unload?

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    We're all ears [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Patience...fellers. The story won't disappoint. It was a perfect blend of fish and nutrolls.

Unfortunately, Cuz hit the nail on the head and I've had to pay for my night out with non-stop baby duty. Besides, nessie has the good pics. Developing.......

15. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    With a 3 year old and one just shy of two I know your pain all to well Greg. It gets easier as they get older though so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to hear your story once diaper duty allows.

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It gets easier??????:0a28:

Just wait until the terrible TEENS, when you don't know JACK, and they know it ALL!!!!!!!:angry:

17. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    1. The wait

Pearl and I met at CB at 4:30. The prima dona that is Nessie couldn't arrive until 6, so Pearl and I caught a bunch of asians for bait in the mean time. The motor ran great and things were looking up.

2. First soak w/ a bang (30, 20, 10) :wink:

After a tip from the ratman and a long boat ride we pulled up on our first spot. There were a few nanners lurking down there and it didn't take long to hook up. I boated a 20lber within 10 minutes. 20 minutes after we rebaited, pearl nailed a 30lber (pun intended -use your imagination). 20 minutes later, nessie got a 10lber. Then, I proceeded to lose one after hooked. They all seemed to hit and run straight up stream.......it threw me for a loop (at least that's my excuse). Anyway, I think we were in some type of time warp as it was now 9:30. We opted to move. Thanks rat!

3. Pearl, the monster, the rock, and the breakup

It was off to the next spot and as soon as we got three rods out, we got a slam. I was still up and managed to lose this one as well. I was taking alot of chit at this time (even though those were the first 2 fish I even remember losing), so I gave up my turn. It was another minute later when Pearl hooked up. He fought this fish for what had to be 30 minutes. He was sure he was getting line all along. There was a fish, make no mistake, but it was apparent something was awry. It slammed, it shook it's head, but Pearl couldn't get line. Of course we knew this was the real lochness, so we were stoked. Pearl was getting tired, sweating, complaining....a nervous wreck who acted as though he never reeled in a fish before. I suspect whatever it was, it got wrapped around a rock. We eased below the fish, Pearl put on too much pressure, the line snapped and Nessie pulled Pearl back to his feet after coming perilously close to falling in the water. I began giving Pearl the business about not knowing he was stuck up, but went a little far as feelings where hurt and Nessie ended up scolding me. It was an embarrassing moment for everyone, but especially Pearl. For me, I would equate it to learning that someone couldn't read after attending college with them. I just couldn't figure out how he could have been this inept after all this time on the water.

4. A pleasant surprise (44,37,30,23,20)

Well, we tried another spot to no avail -- so, we were about to throw in the towel. We did have one more spot in us and we dropped the lines.....I suspect it was close midnight. We pulled up, threw the baits out and hooked up immediately. While Nessie was fighting the fish, "Old Yeller" (Pearl's great lakes trolling rod) doubled and Pearl was hooked up. Then, the third hooked up. (See the attached pic). Notice the rod on the left laying in the floor -- it had a 30lber on it! We caught one more and called it a night. It was 1:30 and we had wives that had expected us home. We didn't have enough marriage capital for an all nighter.

5. Typical chitty spotlight w/ logs included

Now, it's time for the ride back to CB in debri infested waters. Of course, the spotlight doesn't work -- I liken it to a boat gas guage. So, we are off cruising at a pretty safe speed when.......whack, bump....we hit a log. We shook it off and 5 minutes later we plowed another one. We reduced speed considerably now to where it seems we are just moving. Everyone is pretty uptight. Nessie's pregnant wife expected him an hour ago, I was mad that we didn't park at the cobbles and Pearl was, well, in lala land trying to understand why he couldn't tell he was stuck on the bottom. So, the new ETA was 3:30 at CB.

6. A blue rope, a knife and a barge (cautionary tale)

This is where the story gets not so funny, but a lesson can be learned here. We are at the cobbles and pass a barge going upstream. He was at the 64/40 bridge and we were probably at the MLK bridge directly in front. All of a sudden the motor stopped. Quick recon showed that the blue rope in the front of the boat slipped out and made it's way to my prop. With the barge bearing down on us....and now us on him....we didn't have much time. I immediately went to the front to hook up the trolling motor as Pearl and Nessie hacked away at the rope with knives. Fortunately, the batteries were charged and the t-motor was operational and I was able to get us out of the way. Pearl and Nessie did manage to free the rope at about the same time, so we probably would have made it without the tmotor -- we had about 1 minute to spare.

This was totally my fault as I got a little too complacent. I won't cut right in front of a barge and thought I was far enough ahead this time (I guess I was), but it was still too close. In the future, I will do whatever I can to make sure I'm out of the line of fire as you never know what can happen. I've had that same blue rope tied to the front of my boat for the last 12 years and it has never came up and got in the prop. It did Friday and at the absolute worst time.

Lesson #1 -- Avoid the path of a barge as long as you can
    Lesson #2 -- Make sure you have an alternate source of power

7. Flapping transducers

So team nutroll was pretty shaken up at this time. We gathered ourselves and took a few breaths. When we finally turned the ship back up stream, we heard a knocking. I was like F%*k, not again. I just got this dude fixed. But, this time, the noise was inconsistent. Regardless, I wasn't going to take the chance, so we started to motor towards the cobbles to beach her. There was a couple of cop cars with a thousand other cars. Not sure what was going on, but it's why we didn't park there in the first place. The plan was to beach it, grab a cab, go to CB and bring back the trailer. Well, on our way, Pearl recognized the fish finder wasn't working....and sure enough the transducer was ripped off smacking the boat. Whew.........

8. Slow ride

So, confident that everything was in one piece we headed back up stream at a very slow pace. An hour and half later we pulled into CB.

9. Reflection

A trip I won't soon forget.

Attached Files:

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Great story Greg! Glad you caught some fish in your brief get away from diaper duty! :big_smile:

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Great post Greg! Sounds like you guys had a night to remember. That is a cool pic of all three of you with your fish.

20. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Great post for sure...glad everything worked out OK.