Nutria sets

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by cmhanks, Feb 24, 2007.

1. cmhanks

cmhanks New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I know season is almost over but what is the best sets for nutria?

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    any set. You can run them off their pads, set a uncovered trap, and move on, come back in a little while and have one. They will real easy to catch. If you are using coni traps, set cross overs that have nutria sign in it.

3. cmhanks

cmhanks New Member

State:
    louisiana
    tony

Thanks very much for the info. I recently retired and I am planning on trapping some next year. Trying to find out everything I can now and get ready. Haven't been able to find much on Nutria. Thanks again
    Cliff

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I got a question. WHAT IS A nutria?

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They are the english starlings of the furbearers. Someone brought them up from South America and released them into a marsh in Louisiana to add a furbearer to the ecology. Like othet introduced species, Nutria don't have a predator up here and have explanded their range wrecking havock on marshes all over the gulf coast and now come up the atlantic seaboard to Virginia at least. They are similar to a muskrat but much larger. Thank goodness they haven't shown up around where I hunt in VA.

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    A huge, nasty rat that swims! They have beaver teeth, and a rat tail. They eat nothing but vegetation and plant roots. They bore holes in pond levees and stop up drainage. They moo like cows and leave dropping like house rats, just much, much bigger. Who ever brought them here needs to be shot. Alligators, bob cat, and coyotes eat them. Other than that, humans are their only other predator. Their fur is worth all of $1.50 a pelt green. Maybe $3.50 put up. They have fur kind of like a beaver, and are used in the felt/hatters market.

7. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Have become a problem in the N.W. also! nasty little critters!

8. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If they have become a problem, then yall need to load up some #4 buckshot and start shooting them. They are have been a problem here for years, and there seems to be no way to totally remove them. I can trap them out of a pond or small lake and do some good, but they will be back in it in a few months.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    what is a nutria? a nutria is a target of opportunity! :big_smile: