Nuthin' But Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, May 20, 2009.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Thought I'd start a flatheads only thread. After all, they are the best catfish! LOL

Anybody catching any?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have only caught 2 small ones down here in Georgia. I may target them some when I go fishing friday morning. It will depend on what kind of bait I can scrounge up.

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Paul, what is the biggest one you have caught this year?

4. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I've only done a couple flathead trips. Been busy with stripers.

Customer caught this 20 pounder recently. It's the biggest so far.

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    cool, thanks for sharing. I hope to get on a big one soon

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    When this cold front moves out of here im going to hit Carters lake up and see how big the flathead get on there,, I heard a rumor that there are some sure enough big ones in that deep water, no body fishes for them for the most part...
    Puddle
    Here is one a bass guys pulled up about a week ago on a crank bait........:wink:

Attached Files:

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I still want to check out High Falls. It is a bummer you can't fish there at night though.

Puddle, how did you do when you went there?

8. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Whoever put the word Catfish in my title needs to CAP the letter "C". Thanks! :big_smile: LOL

9. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I got 5 out of high falls in one summer over 50Lbs. that was trot lines up river. Now I'm all rod & reel !!!!! Largest was 64 lbs.

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Got a photo of that 64 pounder? :big_smile:

11. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I hope they become well established in Lanier. I know someone who caught 4 last year, and I seen a picture at the bait shop last week of a 28 lb fish caught on a crankbait. I have yet to get one.

12. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Marc,
    Thats when the cold front went through "after the gathering" and it was in the 30 durring the day, we did mess around below the lake for a hr here and there but only managed a couple of channel cats,, To cold for me and the girls to got serious about it...:confused2:
    Puddle

13. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Fished for flats yesterday and had 6 gizzards and 5 bream hit, smashed, scaled and killed and not one fish wanted to eat them. They would pull a couple clicks off the reel and spit them out, like they just wanted to kill them. Never had flatheads do that before, especially with live gizzards. :confused2:

14. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Well friday was my kids last day of school for the year so after all the parties we took a bunch of the kids fishing on the Hooch, we hit the ramp about 9:30 pm with a load of gills and a cooler full of AMP and DEW, fished till about 2 pm, caught 8 total from 4 to 19 lbs then toped it off with a trip to the Waffle House, They had a blast and I got 2 more kids hooked on flatheads.

Attached Files:

15. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
  16. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Paul,
    Not sure how you are rigging but have you thought about adding a double hook rig to a couple of baits to see if it helps hook up,,
    Just a thought, I know it helps when the blues are doing that to me...Might help get a hook into them ...:eek:oooh:
    Puddle

17. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Thanks Puddle. Have not tried that. I think they may be going to a night thing. I'm going to go tonight and see. :cool2:

18. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Good luck,
    Im going to give it a try up on the lake tuesday night,, try to set a lake record...:wink:
    Puddle

19. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Just got back from catching bait. Got about 24 big live gizzards. I'm going back at 9 tonight.