Number of fishing rods allowed

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salmonid, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey , in reading a lot of replies to the "what do you do when catfishing" post, I noticed sveral of you mentioned using another rod and fishing for bass,bait etc.

Here in Ohio you are allowed to fish only 2 poles at any time and there pretty strict about it. So when I am catfishing, I use both rods for catfish and spend a lot of time wishing I could use more then 2 rods so I could keep busy with a 3rd one,:rolleyes:

From what I understand, in Ky, you can use 3

Now get this, if I Live in Ohio , but buy a KY License and know that both states have reciprocal license agreements and allow each others to fish each others shoreline up to the first obstruction or riffle, So logically if I buy a KY License and fish the Ohio side I should be able to fish 3 rods right?? Nope, Only KY folks can do that as you are bound to your Home states rules and regulation in the primary sense, then the other states rules apply secondarily, Did I confuse anyone with that?? So if I am from KY and fish the Ohio side, I can use 3 rods, but living in Ohio, with Ohio license, I can only use 2, go figure.....

What are other states limits?

A quick reply with numbers only and from what state will suffice, It will be interesting to see, Im sure!

Salmonid

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    In South Carolina its two rods from the bank but unlimited from a boat.

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    In CA 1 rod unless you purchase a second rod stamp for $13.00 a year, then the max is 2

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Salmonid I was under the impression that you could use your Ohio License on the KY side and use 3 poles. I emailed DNR and they told me that in "Ohio" you must abide by Ohio Rules I didnt ask about fishing the KY side.

5. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Pennsylvania is a two pole limit, (useing two poles to fish at one time) and you cannot leave a pole unattended.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    oklahoma is 7:)

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    There is no rod limit here in Arkansas. you can fish with as many as you can handle. 4 is about all I can handle but I have used as many as 6.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ryang, are you saying that in Ohio, they have to follow Ohio's rules and in KY those with Ohio License have to follow KY's rules?? While that make all the right kind of sense, Thats half the reason I doubt it works that way(because DNR never does what seems to make sense, most of the time) and the other half is it was expalined to me a while back the way I explained it so Ill try to find out myself for sure. I hope your right.
    Ill let you know if I can get a straight answer.

Thanks,
    Salmonid

9. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    If you have a Ky lic,fishing ky side you can use as many poles as you want:)

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Here in tn if I am remembering correctly you can use as many poles as you like but are limited to 100 hooks.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    No limit at all in Tennessee. You can fish with 10 if you can keep up with them. LOL

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nope, we havent decended into having fishing rod police.
    I dont know that I would support an all out state catfish limit even though I rarely keep anything to eat.
    There are a few bodies of water that should have a mandatory keep what you catch no limit of cats. One of those is Jordan lake. I dont care where you throw an anchor in that lake , you can sink your boat with fiddlers.
    It should be against the law to throw the dang things back.

13. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Il limit: two pole per species.

14. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    in mo 3 untagged poles if using more than three they must be tagged with name and address

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep there is no rod limit here in NC. Mark I agree man, those fiddlers can be terrible. I fished jordan a couple times....caught alot of them little suckers. But there in almost all the lakes around here. Gaston Lake, kerr lake, etc. Alot of people keep the blue's and channel's and throw back them little suckers....it can get unbalanced alot of times.

Zakk:)

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    .....2 poles in ohio? cant remember how long its been since i obeyed that rule:D i usually fish with just 2 but there are times when i use three plus a bait pole. if im in an area where no one else is fishing i dont see a problem since i release fish, but if someone comes along and theres limited space i'll gladly make room and just use 2. or if i'm in an area where the game warden might spot me:D

17. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    no limit on poles in Texas.:0a23:

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    We can use and unlimited number rods in Alabama.

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    That was my impression I didnt specificly ask that tho to the DNR I can send them another note if you want.

20. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    In kansas you can use 2 rods. three if you buy a third pole permit for $6 or so!