NUMBER OF CATFISHERMEN-GOOD OR BAD?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT, Jun 18, 2009.

NUMBER OF CATFISHERMEN

1. Liked it better when no,s were lower.

2. It,s getting crowded.

3. The more the merrier.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Just another one of my little surveys here,trying to get a general opinion.Want to find out what everone thinks about the present number of catfishermen.I.ll start by saying IMO-the more the merrier.I started serious catting about 40 years ago .Growing up in the inner-city(pittsburgh,PA.),the only bodies of water available within walking distance were the 3 Rivers(Ohio,Allegheney,and Monongahela),all pretty large rivers.There was two choices of fishing-cattin or carpin,I fell in love with both.That,s all anyone fished for around here and no one asked why.Dad didn,t fish,had no older family members that fished,just fell in love with it from the start and tried to learn everything I could about it.When I was in my teens, during the early 70,s,they started stocking the rivers with a lot of other fish heavily,bass,walleye,stripers,etc.Seems like everbody took to fishing for the new so called gamefish,you didn,t hear nothing about the old bottom dwellers anymore.I started targetting the big flats fanatically around then.There was a lot more public access to the river then(less lawsuits),I still knew less than 10 people who targeted big cats back then.I aint bitching but it was rough,every time you showed up somewhere,they,d take a look at your gear and you,d hear the old{What you fishing for,whales,ha-ha.}.Weren,t no in-fisherman,no catfish-insider,no dvd,s,no catfishin nothing really:sad2:.Most serious catters used saltwater or musky tackle,weren,t no catfish catalogs either.Most of the books on the subject were either outdated,wrong,or both.You learned what you learned by yourself through trial and error or what you could pry out of some of the old guys.The only good thing about it was,you had almost any spot on shore to yourself at night.:big_smile:.It seems like somewhere in the mid eighties,catfishing started to gain a little respect again,that,s up North here,I know it never lost it,s popularity in some of the Southern states.You started to see a slow rise in specialized catting gear,until today,where you can,t pick up any major catalog without finding at least a decent section of catfish gear.Don,t get me wrong,I aint complaining!Just trying to get an idea of how big it,s caught on in your waters,and also how the additional pressure affects your fishing?I know I gotta give credit to the current rise in popularity,for the selection of gear we got and the amount of products being put before us now by the big manufacturers.Seems like the one thing that aint keeping pace is fishing regs to keep up with the popularity-IMO.So what do you think,better fishing with less,or better fishing with more?Certainly more knowledge being shared nowadays.Better learning the hard way,or picking it up off a DVD?:cool2:.

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    WELL ITS DOES KINDA WORRY YOU WHEN YOU THINK OF HOW MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO HAVE STARTED CATFISHING OVER THE YEARS.YOU DIDN'T SEE ANY REEL GEAR FOR CATFISH 5 OR 10 YEARS AGO SO YOU KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE FISHING FOR THEM NOW.ATLEAST PEOPLE THAT CATFISH SEEM TO HAVE MORE RESPECT FOR THINGS THEN JUST OTHER FISHERMEN SUCH AS THE SPEED BY YOU AS FAST AS I CAN BASS FISHERMEN.WE SHOULD BE ALRIGHT AND HOPEFULY THE CATFISH WILL BE THERE WHEN THE YOUNG ONES GET OLD.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also say the more the merrier..Catfishing has moved away from just being commercially fished to fished for sport..Its one of the largest fish you can catch in freshwater and is second only to bass fishing in popularity..The influx of farm raised catfish has severely damaged the commercial harvest of catfish..Not saying we don't have our problems in the catfishing community but who doesn't have em..Me and a buddy took this 15 year old kid fishing this weekend and he hung into a 20 lb flatty and boy you shoulda seen the look on his face after catching and releasing his first ever flatty..That was priceless..How can I not pass on catfishing to this kid for that moment..

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Very interesting question,:confused2:
    I am certainly not aposed to anyone that wants to fish, particularly the younger generation, but ive got to say things are starting to get crowded on the waters I fish, to the point that I dont fish on the weekends anymore just durring the week so I can relax a little more with out all of the crowds:wink:
    Puddle

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Every year I see more and more folks catfishing on the banks where I fish. With this in mind I don't like it...just a honest answer. With this comes more garbage and less bigger fish. I don't mind teaching already involved catmen but I don't recruit people to the sport. I guess when you drive to your spots to see there is no room anymore, it has formed a opinion to not encourage more lines in the water.

I see no real good in involving more people. 90% of those people will be taking home big fish, big numbers, and trashing our lakes no matter what education you introduce them to.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im with jimmy i HATE it were i fish there used to be no one three four years ago last couple years :roll_eyes::angry: i may have to resort to getting permission to fish some private sections of the river:sad2::angry:

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I think there are just more people around period. It doesnt mater whether we are talking fishing or snowskiing, the more population the more chances you will have that a certain segment of that population will enjoy the same activities as you do. Retailers will always try and make a buck on any merchandise so this may contribute to the "popularity" of catfishing as well. One last thing, the internet, we are all accessing information that wasnt available 10 years ago (at least not so easily) so if John Doe wants to learn about fishing he types it in google and BAM! 5,000 websites about fishing and some of those are bound to be about cats, which in most circumstances are swimming in every body of water around the country. And as we all know those 90 lb cats are sooooooo easy to catch everyone should be up to pro status in no time!!!:smile2:

Catfishing....it aint just for hillbillies anymore.

Bill

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    As said theres just too many people. Especially those with no up bringin. Its obtaining its fair share of idiots, morons,pigs,low lifes, scum bags and just the human race in general. No thought, not enough controls and no enforcement if there are any. The "ME ME ME" attitude along with the attitude of I can do what I want when I want will ruin it all. I am so gratefull that up here in Joisy you are still looked at as a freek if ya go cattin. The marketing of catfish specialty fishin tackle is a crock. Its always been there rite under your nose. Callin a rod a "CATFISH" rod is a smart marketing approach. So now if ya don't have one ya can't fish. My opinion. Gettin way too big too fast.

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I would say there has always been catfishermen. Just nothing that resembled any kind of organization. If you look at the Bass guys, Bass fishing really took off in the early 80's with Organizations like B.A.S.S. Then the FLA started to grow with tournaments around the country, mainly in the southern states and steadily grew picking up steam. Boating and tackle manufacturers seen in the early stages of the bass craze that there was money to be made by catering to these guys.

In a lot of ways you can watch the catfishing part of the sport and darn near see the similiarities between the 2 sports. Catfishing is maybe 20 to 30 years behind the bass guys far as organizing,tournaments, and manufacturers taking notice that the catfishermen might just be a cash cow to target.

Catfishing organizations, clubs, tournaments are just starting to take off, just like bass fishing did back in the 80's. The similarities are there. As the popularity grows, your going to see the good, the bad, and the ugly. Those looking to promote the sport of catfishing already have a good foothold but it's really just getting started. States regulating limits on catfish taken out of the waters is being seen. Tournaments trails like Cabela's and Bass Pro are growing every year just in sponsorship. Maybe another 10 years and you might just see purses of $500,000 and above. I'm not convinced that tournament fishing for the cats is all good, though. Anytime you throw a bunch of money into the equation, common sense and courtesy seem to go out the window. Greed has a way of making people do funny things

Shoot finally the boating industry is taking a serious approach in designing catfishing rigs that aren't a throw-off of a bassboat that you have to still redneck out to get it fishable for the cats and tourneys with bigger livewells. Tackle company's are following suit too. Now you can walk into Wallyworld and get most of the things you need.

The time isn't to far away when the sport of catfishing is going to take off in a major way. I'm sure of one thing, there is going to be growing pains along the way. It's not going to be all good, nor is it going to be all bad. But the seeds have been planted. It all depends on who decides to get involved and what kind of positive impact they make and how important the $1 is to them.

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Bad. I was fishin for them when it wasnt cool. I miss those days.:sad2:
    Now everybody and their brother wants to fish for them, just so they can get a big one to show off.
    I wish it wasnt popular. I wish there werent any tournaments with 30,000 dollar boats. Part of it is just the times changin, but most of its money.
    I like the simple style, the good ol ways.
    Sadly the Boc is partly to blame for the boom. Anybody who is nobody can come on here are learn how to catch them. Things that have taken a lifetime for people to learn can be learned in a few days. Hopefully they learn about selective harvest while they are at it.:wink::smile2:
    Too late to turn back now, hopefully it doesnt ruin us.

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    It's nice to have people around that know and understand what us as catfishermen do, but it's worse to have those who know and understand what we do without having respect for all that goes into the sport. You have those catfishermen who trash places and keep trophies to do God knows what with. They blast their bassy sound-systems and party right where you're fishing. It seems like there are more and more of these people these days and less of the ones who give a damn.

12. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm not going to vote on this because I have mixed feelings. In this area, it's about the same number of folks as always. Most people that fish here just like to fish. They go after crappie when the time is best for them, after catfish when they know they can catch a mess of eating size, and after bass when they feel like it. The few people who target big cats generally run limb lines or trot lines and keep everything they catch.

I like it that I can go to walmart and get the gear I want now. I guess thats one good thing about the growing popularity nationally. The tournaments and money starting to come in worry me though. I like the cpr of big fish but worry that with too much popularity it will become like bass fishing so that you are looked down on if you keep any fish to eat.

I would like to see a regulation similar to what we have for redfish here in Texas. You can keep a reasonable number of small ones to eat every day. With your fishing license, you get a tag for one big red (I think it's over 28 inches) to keep every year. I think something like that for catfish would be good and allow for the popularity to continue to grow without affecting the quality of the fishing.

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like a lesser crowd, around the area i live alot of people still don't even know that flatheads are in our area and amazed when they see a couple pics. and when they ask where i get them i give them some location 30 miles away:roll_eyes:, it is getting hard to find good fishing areas that don't get hammered nite after nite, and i'm sure it will have an impact on the numbers and size of the fish, its not like everyone cpr's and cleans up after themselves so i can see it only getting worse:confused2:

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Geez, I'm really surprised at what I'm reading here. Does this mean I shouldn't teach my grandkids to love catfishing? I'm glad my dad didn't feel this way when he was teaching me to love catfishing. It sure is a nice relaxing and rewarding passtime for me. It's my re-charge time after the stress of just living life these days. Do I wish I could pass that along to my kids/grandkids or any other kids I can? You betcha! I sure do! As many as I can. Hopefully it'll keep them from worse things in life. I don't enjoy crowds anymore than anyone else, especially when they leave trash and do all the other bad things mentioned here. But by gosh, I'd love it if every bass fisherman that tried to crowd me out of a fishing spot or passed by me at mach 9 at 20 yards away in a mile wide river would take up catfishing. Heck, I used to keep every fish I caught, big or small. But I learned different here on this site. And I didn't learn from anyone shoving it down my throat. Thank goodness, or I might not be here. So I guess for me I'd vote to keep on teaching anyone and everyone that wants to learn to enjoy our sport as much as I do. Sure would be a better world if everyone out there liked to catfish and were as good as our members are.

15. big bolt

big bolt New Member

State:
    camden point misssouri
    I agree with whistler. Who knows how my brothers and i would have turned out if not for fishing. i learned patience, perserverance, and respect for the outdoors through cat fishing. I am a father of two boys and watching my oldest boy (3yrs) catch his first bullhead was probably more special to me than it was for him. He loves to fish now when we have to stay home we go outside and he casts his pole and talks about catching the big one. I plan to teach them all i know about catfishin and if they have any friends later on that have never been i will jump at the chance to teach them to in hopes of them learning what i learned.

16. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I have mixed feelings about this question. A lot of good points have been raised in the posts already.

I am relatively new to catfishing---past few years, after having caught some big channels one day in a lake that I always bass fished in (please don't laugh ;) ). I used to catfish with my grandpa when I was a young, but recently re-discovered it. Then, last year I got into hunting for flatheads. I am lucky to be next to a river with good quality fish and poor water quality so that no one harvests them to eat for health reasons (a good side to urban fishing?).

I guess I am a relative newbie to the sport but in some ways I feel that, in the long run, the more the merrier. Sure there will be growing pains and lots of slobs ruining the fishing spots (just check out a stream after trout season opens--it is like a garbage pit), but maybe, just maybe a larger voice for responsible catfishing will emerge. If we can teach the difference between eaters and those to let go, maybe we can have an effect. Especially if we can have an impact on the local level with putting pressure on the local DNR's to enforce laws to protect and cultivate trophy cats. They have programs to cultivate big bass lakes here in Pennsylvania, why can't the same be done for catfish? More people targeting them might make them pay attention. Maybe use the bass industry as a model and try and avoid the mistakes that they have made?

The trash problem goes with any fishing. It really gets my goat when I see trash laying around fishing holes, and I pick up stuff when I can all the time.

I don't know---maybe I am an idealist. I am not for big government or anything but responsible enforcement of a resource that many enjoy is definitely something I am for. Look what they do for trout during the season, or hunting even. Sure some will break the rules, but many won't (I hope--again maybe I have too much faith in my fellow man).

OK---I have rambled enough. Time to cut me off.

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i say its to crowded it used to be you went fishing to get away from the crowed and everyone and just enjoy the quiet and the fishing.Now its a crowed fishing to.I think its pretty sad when you go to a fishing hole and people are shoulder to shoulder all the way around the bank to where you cant even get your line wet,and if you do you have to dodge all the boats who are so rudley going over your lines or blowing past you doing mach 2.So you end up having to drive to 2 or three places to find a place to get your poles in.Then you wander where all the big ones have gone,for one they dont get a chance to grow up.theres a few spots i fish where anytime its stocked its like buzzards on fresh road kill,they will pick that lake clean in no time.keep more then there limit,keep them if there to big or to small they dont care. to many fisherman not enough places to fish.the number of places to fish maybe hasnt changed but the number of people have so there needs to be more places to fish.Im not sure if theres a solution or not.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well brother sometimes to much of a good thing can be bad.I dont find it very recharging when i have to fight for space just to get a line in the water,or have to drive somewhere else cause i cant get in at all know what i mean?i think we have gotten to popular.

19. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I agree with everything you said Pip. I guess I am a hillbilly but my biggest
    fear is the type of people that have come over to catfishing. It is very clear
    that a lot of these people have a tournament bass fisherman's attitude. By
    their posts you can see their desire is to outlaw all types of catfishing but
    the type they do. They have the big boats and most of the money so they
    will probably do so in time. Thats a crying shame. Catfishing used to be
    for the little guy. If he could afford to rent a boat and buy some line and
    hooks he could fish.

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    didn't say i wouldn't take my kids or family but i don't tell any joe blow off the street any areas i fish, and thats why i can take friends and family there cause it won't have the fishing pressure, heck my daughter who's 6 gets bait for me and i'd like to take her out for catty's when she can sit still for more than an hour:roll_eyes:, and by keepin these locations under my hat i hope my daughter will have a decent fishery in a couple years:wink: i always give tips and advice on fishing to anyone but its kind of like deer hunting, i'll point ya to the woods but i'm not gonna put ya in my tree stand:wink: