Now You Tell Me

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Blue Bruiser, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys,
    suppose to be going to buy this boat saturday morning. I had it arranged that i meet the guy at his house at 10 am check it out first , then go put the boat in and run it. Now tonight I get this email. Now just keep in mind that this is an outboard motor.

Hello Chris,
    Due to the weather, and since the boat is winterized, my father says not to start it. Unless it is warm enough to one: run water through it, and two, purge the water out and refill with antifreeze. Since I will not have time to re-winterize it that day and it will be below freezing sat. night. We can dry run it for ten sec intervals. If you have owned a boat before you will under stand where I come from. If this is a problem you will have to reschedule once it gets warmer IF THE BOAT IS STILL AVAILABLE. But like I said no problem dry running it.

see you sat. at 10 am

Now correct me if im wrong, but I have never heard such a thing. Purge the water from the motor and re fill with antifreeze. It's an outboard.

I am thinking there me be a problem keeping it running with a load on it or something.

Any input guys? I am kinda up in the air on this one. :beat_plaster:

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dunno. Maybe the guy is just crazy cautious and mixes antifreeze and water together in a tank and runs it in there to fill all the water galleries in the block with antifreeze/water mix so if any doesn't drain it won't freezed and bust. I don't like the idea of running it multiple times dry for 10 second intervals just to do it, you can't get a very good idea how it runs - not like you're gonna throttle it up dry.

Not sure what the guys doing. I've never heard of winterizing a boat like that, but that's just me. You might post it in the outboard repair section and see what Bubba has to say. Good Luck with it!

Branden

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think I would look some where else.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    may have a scalded piston.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    BE CAREFUL NEVER HEARD OF ANTIIFREEZE IN A OUTBOARD I DONT THINK THEY HAVE A CLUE , OR MAYBE THEY THINK YOU DONT BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LEAVE IT ALONE SOUNDS LIKE PROBLEMS , JUST MY OPINON

7. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    People I know and trust told me NEVER run an outboard dry, not even for a second or two, it's plenty of time to melt a water pump impeller.

I can't even imagine where to fill mine with antifreeze :tounge_out:

Personally, I would be looking for another boat, who knows what kind of shape this one is in.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    There seems to be a common theme here:
    RUN AWAY...W

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If they know what they're talking about, then what they're selling is an inboard with an OUTDRIVE, not an outboard.

You never said what size outboard is on it.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree sounds fishy to me..... no pun intended.

11. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    id leave it alone chris and find something better

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I duck hunted all my life and never put antifreeze in a outboard. I always drop the motor and let the water run out of it. If all the seals are good in the lower unit, there shouldn't be any water in it. Won't take but a screwdriver and a minute to see if it's leaking.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Wright back and tell him he's nuts. If he has owned a boat before then he would know. Mine has been just sitting outside all winter with nothing done to it. When I go to start it it will start like it always has.

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Either there is something wrong with the motor, or this guy is dumber than a hard crab and has no business running an outboard.....either way, RUN AWAY. Even if there is nothing wrong that you can find/see/hear, he's a little slow, he's probably damaged it in some way that will show up later.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    All you gotta do is lower the motor to drain the water in the winter and keep it stowed that way if it is outside. Where the heck is he putting antifreeze at? Ask him, I'd like to hear the answer.

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    My first post to read today and already got a good laugh. LOL Where did this guy come from?

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Makes me wonder how many times this boat has been run dry already? If he thinks it is OK to do, he has probably done it before. At the very least I bet it needs a new impeller. Best bet is to wait until Spring if you are really interested in this boat. Then take it out on the water and put it through the paces.

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    chris, it sounds like he's hiding something. Just my opinon

keep your guards out buddy

19. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like problems to me. I would tell him you want to run or you are not going to buy it! Think about it this way, there are plenty of other boats for sale. I run my outboard year around, but I also keep it in a heated garage when I am not using it. I use my boat for duck hunting though. What kind of boat are you looking for? A buddy of mine is getting ready to sell a 18 ft deep V with a 70 hp Johnson...it is set up for fishing for blues. The motor runs great, because I use to own it. The boat has a 60 gal livewell and hummingbird depth finder, 6 rod holder mounted on the back of the boat, and more. PM me if you think you might be interested.