NOW WHAT!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Now that the water has stopped NOW WHAT are you guys gonna do for wackin and stackin!!:smile2:
    Ill start drifting up on the lake but going from catching 20, 30 and 40 to 3, 4 and 5 pound fish will take some getting used to for me:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well yes drifting seems to be the best for the most action now ..

and yes mostly smaller fish caught durring summer months drifting .

but now its time to target flatheads as they come off the spawn .
    to me its best at night as they roam around more in search of a meal . but i do love night fishin best anyway I hate the sun and 90 + degree days lol

I still feel spider rigging at night with live shad and perch will still produce a few nice fish below the dam to many miles down river for a couple weeks .

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    what exactly is this spider rigging you speak of scotty?

4. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

this is a good view and exsample of driftin or some call it
    ( spider rigging ) a river

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQtstrFwfw

as seen by paul you have many rods out at once spread around the boat placed in rod holders .

basically as seen you fish straight down from the boat around 2 foot to 10 foot off the bottom or where ever ya see the catfish on your electronics but usually its in the lower half of the water colum

then let a gentle breeze move you around slowly or drift evenly with the current over the fish .

myself i never let the sinker stay on bottom if i see my sinker dragging with the rod tip tapping over and over i reel up a few feet of line ,, if the water gets deeper i may let out some line trying to stay in that 2 foot to 10 foot range from the bottom with the bait .

the waters i fish down around truman we dont have skipjack our bait of choice is shad and perch .

I try to target big fish so I usually use live bait but have caught some good fish on cut bait as well ..

as paul said in the video you cover alot of water and depths this way and increase your chances of finding active feeding fish .

hope this helps .

in rivers with current some do what is called bottom bouncing or controlled drifting ,, but i do not want to get you confused with the different techniques .

5. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    I know what you mean scotty targeting big flat heads is fun. I like to look for a spots that have a few good signs. Most people forget to fish bluffs for flathead they tend to think log jams and timber. But big flathead like to hang out by sheer bluffs. The more rigged the rocks and the more rubble you see the better. In the summer i catch most of them in the 20-30 feet range, but at night i try to wait for them to come out. I find a spot with a few good signs that it could be holding flat head. Then I find the closest flat or good feeding aera, then I go back over that aera a few times with the sonar set on black bottom and try to find a small channel or ledge that the fish would follow to get to the flat and set up shop on that route if there is one, bust most of all feel confident in your spot, because it is a waiting game!

6. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

great post and info morris :big_smile::wink: we need all your wisdom and input buddy !!!! reps to ya :big_smile:

7. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I might try my hand at the Upper Osage this weekend. Bankfishing to see what I can get.

8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    your 100% right on that earl, all of my best flatheads have come from mouths of feeder creeks, and not just in hot weather. i have caught flatheads in those locations as early as march. they seem to hang around areas like that in the meramec consistently, a couple times i have taken as many as 4 from the exact same spot. i even target the little creeks made by storm sewer run off, some no more than 20 inches wide. i guess it makes a nice little cubby for them to rest in and wait for food to drift by.

also, i dont know if anyone has seen them but a great alternative to bug spray are these little wristbands they sell at walgreens to repell bugs. i use 2 at a time (one on each wrist) and i think they work great. they last about 200 hours after opening (according to the package). i just bag them in small sandwich bags after each use, and throw em away after a few fishing trips. they cost about a buck each, and the best thing is NO SPRAY!!

9. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    if its that bad for you i would say anything is worth a shot, especially if its only a buck a piece. i also like to use those "OFF" battery powered clip ons. i usaually clip one on to each of the chairs i have on shore for a little added protection. your right about the fact that some of those sprays seem more like a seasoning than a repellant, i genrally use the off sprays only, as i find them to be the only spray worth a sh*t. but i hate sprays, i hate them so much that i spend money on any product that may be a better alternative. which led me to try the wristbands, and i am super happy with them. like i said use 2 (one on each wrist) and hopefully you'll be allright.
    also there is a local guy who sells some great natural cedar bug repelants i use. i will typaclly sray the shore or ground around where im set up with this stuff, and i think it really helps also. the name of the company is "something cedar" and you can find him at somethingcedar.com. some of the best aromatic cedar products on the market. hope it helps.

10. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

i never git bit :big_smile::big_smile: they like to sworm earl first i supose !!!! lol sorry buddy it is unreal how they flock to you and dont bug me ..

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    ever try a thermacell?

12. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    The thermacell works great you wont need anything else!!!