Now till 1-28-06 - Kroger Shrimp Sale

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by sal_jr, Jan 23, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Kroger has buy1 get 1 free shrimp bags- 41-50 ct.

Stock up on bait!:cool:

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bait is 16-20 count bro. What size fish yall got up there?

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    LOL- We go to war with the bait we can afford, not the bait we'd like to afford.

Thats the best answer I can give ya brother. LOL

16-20 count would break my bank. Instead, Ill put two of these on the hook.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Holy Cow! Thats cheaper than I bought them 6 weeks ago. I think I'll have to get some more. The one thing with using shrimp, is that if you don't catch any fish, you just eat the bait. It's a lot better than eating cut bait, or for God's sake stink bait.
    Thanks for the update Sal.
    Sparky

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sparky, you eat raw Tiger Prawns? LOL. I don't fish with the cooked variety myself. Of course, you could bring the utensils and hook them up on the bank. Sal, are those cooked or raw?

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    doesnt pay for me to take shrimp! if their uncooked i usually roast them over a fire....cant help myself.

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I hear ya there, Dink!

Theyre cooked fellas.

I dont think there is too much difference when theyre soaked in vanilla like sparky does.

-sal

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sal, if you're interested in cheap bait, you might give this a try. Find a discount grocery that specializes in ethnic foods and buy a bucket of chitlings, the cheaper the better. (The expensive ones are cleaned better and don't have as much scent/flavor.) Cut them into bait sized pieces and put a pound or so into a ziploc bag. Then add 3 or 4 shrimp flavor packets from Ramen noodles. Do another bag with garlic powder, another with vanilla, maybe one with cheese powder for making cheese sauce, etc. Then test them against each other and your favorite baits. In addition to being cheap, the chitlings stay on the hook till you tear or cut them off.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    No bait here.
    Low country boil Taters, corn on the cob, spices and sasuage. Boil it all and then take it out. Drop the shrimp in boiling water. With shrimp boil liquid and powder. Add onions and lemons.
    I cook form 5 lb to 10 lb at a time. Great eating.
    Pete

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    To answer your question Vic, I can't afford tiger prawns. I buy the cheapest shrimp I can find. I've use them cooked and I've used them raw. I've soaked them in vanillia, like Sal says, and I used them plan. I've had luck on both raw and cooked shrimp. But, Vic, you've been around me enough to know, I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first. As far as the size of the shrimp goes, I don't care. I'm not going to brake any catfish world record. I fish! And I eat fish. The size doesn't matter as long as I have fun and get enough to eat.
    Sparky

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm just curious here. Why would you take a shrimp and soak it in vanilla extract? It seems that would negate the purpose of even using shrimp in the first place considering the cost of shrimp.

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Have you every been fishing and you are just catchen um left and right then they stop. There still there they just stop hitting what you have to offer. Change up with Scent! Change your depth! Change the Size!

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Your right Hear Kitty! Myself, I read it some place, so I tried it and I caught fish. Now there are times when it doesn't catch fish and a night crawler works. I guess you got to try different things, use what works best.
    Sparky

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What I'm getting at is , If it's scent fishing you are doing by using vanilla extract there are better and alot cheaper ways to go .

When you soak a shrimp in vanilla extract its not a shrimp anymore.
    it could be a free piece of fatback, a sponge,or a cheap as heck chicken heart or gizzard. All you need is a vanilla delivery vehicle which ideally would be free since you aready paid for (your bait) vanilla extract.
    Just doesnt make sense to go purposely buy shrimp and change the scent of it thinking it is shrimp they are hitting.
    Of course, if you dont mind spending, I'm sure the shrimpers wouldn't argue at all.

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    never thought of it that way, but good point, Markj.

OH wait..... one other thing:

Cant eat your extra sponges if you got skunked. lol

Really though, good point.

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I have to admit Mark, you have a good point. Like I said, I read this in some magazine, so I tried it and had some success. You have to remember, we're from up North, we'll try anything.
    Sparky

17. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hold on there bud no one said you have to soak every pice in vanilla extract it is just a choice just like butter or anything els