Now this is a way to get worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Dsage, Jun 15, 2009.

1. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Tht's pretty cool, if it works it works

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    interesting video i heard about that but never seen it done thanks for posting

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Awesome! I need to try that in the back yard!!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dan. Interesting to say the least.:wink:

5. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i never even heard of that,,,, wonder how it works in kansas

6. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Get a TENNIS RACKET and knock the stuffing outta that blackbird. But in San Frsancisco the tree huggers would probably have you arrested. Forget the grunting just go across the street from my house during a good hard rain and you can get all the worms you want.It's easier if the grass is short.

7. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Thats pretty neat! We set a new power pole In a front yard around a flower garden last week and started tamping the dirt back in around the pole and worms started doing the same thing coming up out of the ground like crazy. Picked up almost 3 dozen in 10 minutes:big_smile:

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Fiddling for worms.
    Happens all the time here in Florida.
    Went to a worm fiddling contest down in Carryville last year near Pons Deleon, had a ball an got some worms to boot.
    Even bought some lie soap there some guy had made, still have some of it.

If ya ever get the chance to go , go for it.

opj

9. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 New Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    I have done that in my garden and it does work. But I just tapped the stake with another stick. My kids thought it was the coolest thing. I think I seen it in Outdoor Life or Feild and Stream.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    been doing the same thing for bout 60 years cept we just shove a bush back and forth.the roots moving bring the worms up.ya can also use a chain saw or a generator just crank then up and the vibrations from them will bring worms to the top to.

11. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    The place these guys are at is Unclebunkle's old back yard. Some REALLY wild and wooly country. Tates Hell is about 100 miles long without any roads, some real badass swamp.

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've done that before but wouldnt have the guts to do it there.You might piss off a 6ft rattler or 12 ft gator.

13. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Sod worms are great flathead bait in Kansas but they are hard to find. The people that have them on there land don't want the ground dug up to get them.

A guy I meet 6 years ago was doing some constaruction on a building close to my house. He work there for about a year, we talked and found we both like fishing for cats.

He told me how to get sod worms that work every much like this grutting but he used a michine. He would take a gravel tamper michine and make a few pass over the ground and the sod worms would jump out of the ground!! I have never seen some many of them at one time. He made a pass over some ground 10-20 ft and we would get enough worms for weeks of fishing.

He thought was the vibs in the ground made the worms think thunder and rain and would come up for moisture or escape the rains. I know when the banks at my river cabin start rising the worms will start moving.

I'm going to try this grutting as I don't have a tamper.

14. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Very interesting!

So what methods work? The guy on the video said some people just don't do it right... And yet I saw a reply of a person simply stuck a stick into the ground and kept smacking it, and worms were coming up. Either way, this is an interesting video to watch!

15. karensalina

karensalina New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Several things discourage me from trying this: the mention of poisonous snakes, hungry mosquitoes and persistent gnats. However, I am thinking of growing my own worms. My husband says they are not grown, they are raised. But that sounds more like a family type of thing. You know, like raising children. The last thing I need is to establish a familial bond with these worms. I already feel sorry for them when I put them on the hook. How could I put a hook through something I have raised??? Nope, I think I will stick to the idea of growing them someday.
    :smile2:

16. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Awe come on, Karen... Spray some off, and use the snakes as fish bait :smile2:

As far as growing the worms; you'd think there would be some kind of bond, but after you hook the first one you'll more than likely be over that hesitation :wink:

17. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    I agrees with you karen on the "poisonous snakes, hungry mosquitoes, and persistent gnats"..that would have me running when i heard snakes..hahaha. it would be fin to try somewhere there isnt snakes.:smile2: