Now this is a flathead catfish worthy minnow

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loki1982, May 2, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was catching perch with a pole in a local creek and caught this shiner. I didnt measure it, but put a 12 inch ruler by it. Looks like about 8 inches. Caught a mess of good size perch too. Probably 12-15 that are 4-6 inches. Going to go use em tonight, around a rocky area that I figure is the best chance of holding flatheads.

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=minnow6tc.jpg I think there called golden shiners, Im not sure what type of shiner they are specifically but there the same kind for sell around our part for bass/crappie fishing, they're just grown up.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That should catch a biggun, or you could just filet it and feed a third world country!

Aaron

TA2D

3. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yup,
    Thats a golden shiner. My dad and I used them in Fla for Bass.

4. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hope you catch some nice ones. that shinner should be very good bait.

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    That is one big one...looks like the size we used for sharks...LOL

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    never seen one that big. isnt that also called a red horse?
    i catch most of my spottails on a hook also. one reason is i guess im too lazy to throw a net, and also i think its a lot of fun.

7. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is a huge shiner. A flathead should tear that up especially where you plan on fishing.Good luck and hope you have a pic of what swallowed it:cool2:

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ok heres the update. We set out some lines, with that shiner and the perch I caught earlier today. Fished for crappie caught a few keepers. Went to check our lines before we went home and got a 24# bluecat. We let it go, and left the line out. Im going back out tomorrow morning at 4 am to pick the lines up.

Here is the pic.
    http://img320.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catfish15qh.jpg

The fish was 24# on the dot. Caught on a live perch 3-5 foot under the surface in 27 foot of water. The area was very rocky, and only 30-40 foot from the bank. This lake is known as having about average fish nothing record breaking, big blues from are 35-40# and we've been lucky enough to catch an 18,24,32.5 blue in the last 4 months. The shiner and about 15 perch were still swimming around so maybe a flathead will hit them tonight. Ill update this tomorrow with what I catch.

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I picked up my lines around 3:30. I got a very pregnant 8# blue, 2 4#ers and a 1.5 pounders. We released all of them. We were mainly just trying to catch a flathead.

So our total was 24#,8#,2 4#, 1.5#. All blue cats. Im beginning to believe there arnt very many flatheads in this lake. Ive seen a baby one caught, and texas parks and wildlife list a 78#er as the lake record, but I have yet to catch a flathead form the lake.

Heres a pic of the 8 and 4#er caught on the same line
    http://img304.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catfish21dw.jpg

The shiner was not missing when I pulled the lines up. But I knwo for sure the 24, the 8, and one of the 4#ers were cuaght on live perch. The others im not sure if it was perch or frozen shad.

10. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    that would be a great bait in the middle of summer when they want big baits.try and use them then

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I doubt a big old flathead would pass that up.:cool2: