Now That Is Good Looking Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH AMERICAN CATFISH' started by Ace, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Known as the tiger-striped catfish or zebra shovelnose catfish. This fish is native to South American river systems and can grow larger than 60 cm. This is one of the many examples of rare fish you can findin the Amazon Rivers.

Ace :0a20:

2. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

never seen one them before now i have thanks ace

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I had one of those in a 285 gallon aquarium that I bought when it was 8inches long. I had it till it was 28 inches before it died. It was a voracsious eater,and it ate 50 goldfish a day. They are much like a Flathead in the fact that their mouths are as big as their head is wide. Ipayed almost seventy dollars for that fish and it really depressed my when he died, he was one of the coolest fish I ever had:crying: !!!

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    JW,

I couldnt have him, he would eat to much bait! :)

Cool looking catfish.

5. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    That is one cool looking catfish! I would love to have one of those in an aquarium. I understand though about how much it probably eats. It would probably cost more to feed that thing than to feed my own son! :D

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Every morning at Dawn the same group of women set up their tables and sell the fish their husbands' catch. You have to shop early of the resturants get all the better stuff. The front fish is a surubi. Behind it, there are dorado and boga. All excellent on the grill.

Attached Files:

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This is my brother with a Dorado. Early explorers though it was a type of salmon, hence its latin name, "Salmonus Maxillosus". Its really a member of the chiclid family. Argentines call them River Tigers. They are the top predator of the Paraguay and Parana River systems. Unbelievable fight and get up to 70 pounds. They jump like crazy when hooked and many say it is the strongest and hardest fighting fish pound for pound of anything that swims in Fresh Water. Unfortunately its as tasty as it is a good game fish. I have never seen a Paraguayan release one. This one came out of the Rio Tebicuary. What fun we had on that trip. We camped out and fished 3 days. Caught a mess of fish. I took 4 of my Indians to help out with the camp chores so all my two brothers and I did was fish, eat, and relax. We never saw another living soul on the river the whole time.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here. Lets try the picture again

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fish fish fish fish sorry and thank you for your sticking with me

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I promise not to try again if this fails. Why am I so dumb? Wife thinks this all the time, but at least my kids and dogs love me

Attached Files:

11. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    South America looks very inviting with all the warm temps. MUCH BETTER THAN UP HERE IN PA.Looks like it would be a great winter getaway :thumbsup:

Mike

12. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Nothing like a catfish that is dressed up to go out on the town!

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    South America has over two hundred different catfish swimming in their waters. Most are dinks less than 5 inches long but there are plenty in the 2-10 pound range for eating and then there are 4 or 5 giants.

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but in the first post, the first two fish are true tiger cats (Merondotus tigrinus) and the fish that is being discussed and is in all the other pictures is Psuedoplatystoma fasciatum, the tiger shovelnose catfish. Big color differences, and the Tiger cat only get's up two 24" in legth, but has fillaments that run from the tips of the caudal fin that can be over half the length of the fish itself, which common in another closely related species, Brachyplatastoma jurenese, the Suntiger catfish which gets over 30" FTL not counting "streamers". The tiger shovelnose is most often caught on crankbaits in moderately heavy current when fished with rod and reel.

The Dorado which is indeed an awesome fish also, and aside from Payara and Arapaima would be one of the fish species outsided of catfish that would draw me in. I would like to clarify however that the Dorado is more closely related to the Characins, not the chidlids such as the oscar, red devil, jack dempsey, green terror and the likes. But more like the Vampire fish, the Payara which is the largest member of the tetra family.

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Strang looking cats,I do not think I could eat one of those.:)

16. bhatcher1993

bhatcher1993 New Member

State:
    sc
    thats huge
    :crazy:

17. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :secret:tops from the looks of you, you would eat them.L.O.L

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    lol..

19. the pyromaniac

the pyromaniac New Member

State:
    VA
    My wife is from Brasil and has eaten a lot of pintado and surubi. She says they're the best-tasting fish ever (so much so that she won't eat North American catfish) and my brother-in-law (a Brasilian sushi chef) is also quite fond of them.