Now that Gas Prices are coming down......

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has this changed your driving habits? Notice how all of a sudden the gas price went down when people started taking buses, and other forms of transportation? People need to continue.....I know a lot of people dont have that option, but I am thinking this round a lot of people traded gas hogs for more fuel efficient cars.......

What is your take, think gas prices will stay down now?

2. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nope, they'll go down to 3.50 and we'll be happy about it. Then they'll start creeping back up. Next thing ya know, it'll go so high that we'll be happy to see 4.00!:angry:

I've worked in a gas station for 20 years. That's the way it's always been. When it went from 1.00 to 2.00, we were happy with 1.50. Then it went to 2.50, we were happy with 2.00. Then 3.00, happy at 2.50. You get the picture.:sad2:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Oil prices started edging down when president Bush lifted the executive portion of the ban on offshore drilling.
    You'll see the bottom fall out if the democrats up there in congress will lift the legislative portion of the ban.

It's not that we can drill offshore, it's that we could that concerns OPEC.
    They could no longer hold a barrel of oil over our heads.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I don't think gas prices will stay down. Just wait until Labor Day. I feel like the gas companies will play with the consumer and bring the prices down to give us a false sense of security in the prices and trick us into taking a trip during Labor Day weekend and then before everyone comes back from the weekend they will jack the prices back up. Then your stuck at paying those prices to be able to get home.

It's nice that the prices are coming down some but I don't feel that it will last. Something will happen that will cause the prices to jack back up. Like another tanker mishap or a fire at a refinery or something like that.

The gas companies have got most of the U.S. citizens by the throat and they are not gonna let go.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Gas has gone down to 3.80 ish around here, I dont consider that to be down. I think kattamer nailed it though. Gas has been over 4 bucks, most folk will think we're getting a bargain at anything under 3.50.:confused2:

6. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Its all a conspiracy created by my wife to keep me home more...:eek:oooh:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Every election year they drop a bit, nutting to do with the parties.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Whew! That was close!

Saved by those secret meetings Cheney had with oil industry execs to plot national energy policy.:wink:

Prices go up, and prices go down, but through it all, the trend is up.

To answer the original question, I don't drive if I can avoid it, and keep it around 60.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I haven't noticed any drop in my area,Prices are about the same as they have been for a month. They dropped a few cents after the 4th,but are right where they were before then, I don't drive any less. I have been limiting my driving to work and necesseties only for over a year.

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    gas prices around columbus oh is around 3.68 now down from 4.09 a week or so ago

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Do they honestly think that we are so stupid that we will believe the prices are gonna stay down???:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2:!!!!
    Don't kid yourself!!!! This is just the drop before the big push!!!

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont get your hopes up on the drilling in the gulf. The leases are open to other countries as well. How is this going to benifit us? It isnt. There is an Austrailian and Italian company that is bidding for the leases in the gulf. So if you reside in Austrailia or Italy it might. Bush and Cheney are keeping the oil companies happy. I have already complained to my state senator about it and the bill on the ANWR in Alaska. At least he responded to me, have yet to read his response the wife is sending it.

I think there were different factors on bring the price of oil down. First, they were looking into gas futures, then when people quite driving they put a hurting on the oil companies....we need to keep that up. OPEC is running scared on the offshore drilling and the ANWR also.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its good to hear that some areas have seen receding prices, hopefully by the time I get home in Jan. they will be reasonable

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    There might be some short-term reductions from the record levels we've had, but oil is non-renewable and emerging economies such as China and India will continue driving up demand. There needs to be continued pursuit of alternatives to oil regardless of new drilling. The worst thing we could do is to find new sources of oil and then abandon conservation and research into alternatives because we found another 50 years or whatever worth of oil. All that would mean is leaving the mess of running out of oil in a still oil-dependent world to our kids or grandkids.

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well we just replaced our 3rd vehicle an 89 Mustang GT Convertible, with a Mazda5. Not for fuel economy as much as more room. We have outgrown that Mustang. It will give over 20 mpg if you keep your foot off of it.

Mazda5 is 21-26 mpg. Lots more room and fun to drive.

The trouble with little real fuel efficient cars is, full sized adults don't fit real well in them.

I will drive my truck less and use this little van more, Truck only gives 14 mpg on a good day.

This little Mazda will haul feed, and let me afford to go back to TN fishing.

I think everyone eventually will adjust their vechiles to be more fuel efficient. It is just some things one has to have a 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 for. Anyway I do. That Mazda is not going to pull a cattle trailer or even my boat for that matter. I need a kayak or will have to take my canoe fishing more. I don't know if I'm ready to buy a smaller boat and trailer yet.

If I bought everything I needed to save fuel. I would not have any money left for fuel lol lol :smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Branden: As always, a level head and common sense. Sorry bro, they won't let me rep ya.

ohno, before the diet, I was 6-0/260#, and somehow managed to squeeze into the wife's Honda Civic, which gets in the high 30's. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

17. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Nope, I can't see the price dropping below $350 are $400 a gallon. It looks to me like we are just going to have to adjust are way of doing things and do them a little different then we use to. My wife and I have already started, we have to plan our trips to town so we get any doctor appointments, grocery buying, and any thing else we need to get done, all on the same day, none of that running to town three and four times a week and some time twice in the same day. I don't think most people care that the fuel prices are as high as they are, I mean they will gripe a little but hell, you try and get a camp site at the coast, are any of the lakes are parks forget it, they are all full. people are just changing the way they do things and as long as the people are fine with the high fuel prices, they are hear to stay. ever one has their own ideas on how to get the fuel prices down, but they are set by supply and demand, and if you don't buy it, some one else will, and I don't like it, but that is just the way it is.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The worst thing we could do is sit around waiting for this alternative that no doubt will not be a buck fifty a gallon but 6 dollars a unit.
    People have the notion that alternative is going to be cheaper then oil. Better hold onto your pants because somebody is coming for your wallet.
    Drill here drill now. Let the eggheads in the free market figure out how to make a car run on something that Al Gore can live with on their time and dime, not mine.
    And when an alternative is found can you afford to switch over? I probally couldnt and wouldnt.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Actually I was just talking to a chemist the other day who is convinced that the oil baron Slim something or other is working with a battery company who has developer not a battery but a condenser? or something that is 10x lighter than the lithium batteries available today, can take a vehicle at 80 mph for 350 miles, and can be recharged in about 5 minutes because it is not a battery but this other thing (condenser is wrong). Apparently he wants to build a nationwide network of windmills to replace gas stations. I know it sounds crazy but when a billionaire oil man talks..... some people listen.

20. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My take on gas prices is this. Gas went up to $3.50 I parked the Suburban and bought a Cougar for the wife to drive back and forth to school, started driving the Blazer, which gets just a bit better gas mileage for my 33 mile commute to work, bought a boat, and my teenage son drives a Dodge Dakota R/T with a 5.9 liter V8, the gas companies LOVE us. And now we are thinking of starting to use the Suburban again. My point is this I don't plan on letting fuel prices keep me from doing things that I want to do, but it can make me do a little less of it. Instead of taking a gas guzzling truck into town, we ride our bikes (yep the kind with pedals cause its free). I feel that ultimately we will see gas drop below $3.00 a gallon again, especially around election time.